cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undismiss an accidentally deleted notification.

Undismiss an accidentally deleted notification.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I dismissed a notification from the dropbox app on the Apple OS X menubar. I didn't realise but the deletion took with it a plethora of comments that I wished to keep. 

Is there any way to resurrect the comments?  Inside dropbox I'm informed the file's bang up to date and there are no comments to either undismiss or unresolve. I just seem to have head-scratchingly lost them? :-/

8 Replies 8

Re: Undismiss an accidentally deleted notification.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Jim-W-Manchester, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It does sound strange indeed, dismissing a notification should do just that, and only dismiss the notification.

Can you clarify for me if the comments were for a normal file, or a Paper doc?

If you check your events page here, do you see any actions related to the file these comments were for?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi, the comments were made about a paper Word doc.

Explorer | Level 3
Additionally there’s no record of the comments being made about the file in the events history—just checked. Puzzling.

Dropboxer

Hi @Jim-W-Manchester, could you clarify if it's for a Dropbox Paper doc, or a Word doc?

Are the comments made directly on the Dropbox site, or in the file itself as an internal Word comment?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay,
it was a Word doc located in my public folder, the comments were made seemingly outside the document but there were yellow highlights within the document itself (when viewed online with dropbox’s viewer only) pertaining to what was being commented on.

Dropboxer

Could you have a look in your Events page here @Jim-W-Manchester, for any actions related to this Word doc?

I'd be interested in seeing if there are any deletion events related to this file.

For example, if the file had been deleted and re-uploaded instead of just edited, this could cause the comments to be lost as it's not seen as the same file.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
hi, I’ve just been down the events list and there are no records of deletion and re-uploading. Only a record of my last edit of the file on 3rd of Oct. they made their comments a couple of days after this, I did manage to view them but not process things at the time, and, as mentioned, after dismissing them from the Apple menu bar, the comments for the document were at the same time completely erased.

I’ve resolved the issue by talking to the person that made the comments, and they redid them as they’d kept an external copy.

To get to the root of it, I could try and replicate things, create a new dummy Word document, get someone to comment on it, and then dismiss the notification and see if it happens again…?

Dropboxer

If you're willing to test it out, you can do so. Dismissing a notification for comments shouldn't delete them from the document entirely.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?