cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo share folder

Undo share folder

frankpxl
Explorer | Level 4

On my Android tablet, a folder somehow got made to "Share". I didn't want that. Now, when I try to open it, the only options are to open in Zoom Buddies just this once or always. I've never used Zoom Buddies, and this folder has nothing to do with Zoom. All files in that folder now open only to the join Zoom meeting page. On my desktop computer's Dropbox, the file I wanted opens as a PDF file, as expected. On the tablet, I can't find how to remove that highlighted Share button. I've spent hours trying to get it back to how it was, like the other folders. I see no indication on the screen of where I am or how to get out of there. I now find I can't even open any other folders in the tablet's Dropbox app; the page I'm on is titled Home, and there's no way to close it. After closing the app on the device, it opens again to the same place. I made a duplicate of the folder and it's the same. Dropbox on the other computer is working like before. What have I tapped myself into?

8 Replies 8

Re: Undo share folder

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @frankpxl, thanks for reaching out today.

Can you please send me a few screenshots, so I can have a visual of the situation?

Also, do you see Zoom in your connected apps page? Do you see the same if you disconnect it?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

frankpxl
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah,

I'm not able to take screenshots from that screen. I disconnected Zoom from Dropbox, and tapping to open a file still opens the Zoom start page.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Without a screenshot of what you see, it's very difficult to guide you on what to do, though. 😞 

Can you clear the Dropbox app's cache, to see if that helps? You'll find the option to do that in the app's settings.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

frankpxl
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah,

Clearing the cache didn't seem to make a difference.

When I first open Files, I see under the Dropbox line three buttons: Upload, Folder, Scan. Opening a folder shows an additional button on that line: Share (highlighted, with an up arrow). Folders open to the same display. Tapping on files in most folders gives several options that open them. When I open the folder with the problem, I have the same four buttons at the top, with Share highlighted, but here, all the files have a green icon with a down arrow. Tapping on any of those files opens the Zoom start window. The 3 dots menu shows: Share; Make available offline (toggled off); Move to Vault; Sort, Star, Rename, Duplicate, Move; and Delete. The 3 lines menu shows: Paper, Offline, File requests, Notifications, Settings. The icons of the lower four of those are line drawings. The icon of Paper is solid black. (Is it always like that?)

After various attempts to first open a file, not being sure of what I was doing, only made matters worse, (I think it was just that one file at first, before trying to go back extended the problem to the whole folder), I'm afraid of further frantic tapping. I haven't been able to get those down arrow icons on the files to disappear, and can't see where I am, let alone how to exit and get back to where I started. I hope this is enough information to give an idea of what I did wrong, and where I got myself to. If I can be shown how to correct my mistake, or revert to the original position, I will be grateful.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @frankpxl, if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

frankpxl
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I uninstalled Dropbox, rebooted the tablet, and reinstalled the app. Tapping on files in that one folder still opens Zoom. Opening all folders shows Share highlighted, and the share icon in the menu looks more bold than the other icons there. When I was trying to find where I wanted to save a file to, I may at some point have tapped on Paper, not understanding what that is. Have I somehow got different types of documents mixed up?

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you attach a screen recording showing this behavior? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

frankpxl
Explorer | Level 4

I don't know how to send screen shot recordings. I think my original mistake was when trying to copy a page to somewhere else. After updating my tablet and reinstalling Dropbox once more, I now find the other files in that folder have several options that will open them. It's only the file where the problem first appeared that still won't open. Tapping on it opens Zoom; tapping "Open with..." in the file's menu gives only "Send to Zoom Buddies". I have no idea how Zoom was connected with it; in Dropbox on my desktop computer that file opens in Adobe Reader as a PDF document.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

frankpxl Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?