cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unidentified folder that cannot be deleted

Unidentified folder that cannot be deleted

HHCC
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am new to Dropbox and trying to find my way around. I recently downloaded the app onto my Microsoft Surface laptop and found that it had downloaded a folder named "DESKTOP-720CA63" that had several files in it that I do not need or want on Dropbox (and that consumed my entire storage allowance of 2GB). I managed to figure out a way to permanently delete the individual files to free up space but I cannot delete the empty "DESKTOP-720CA63" folder. There is no delete option for this folder.

I subsequently deleted the desktop app and am only using Dropbox via the web application but I still cannot find a way to delete the folder.

Any ideas of (i) why it appeared in the first place and (ii) why I cannot delete it?

If I delete my Dropbox account, can I then create a new account using the same email address as the one used to create the original account?

1 Reply 1

Re: Unidentified folder that cannot be deleted

Rich
Super User II

@HHCC wrote:

I recently downloaded the app onto my Microsoft Surface laptop and found that it had downloaded a folder named "DESKTOP-720CA63" that had several files in it that I do not need or want on Dropbox

During the installation, you enabled the computer backup feature. It would have moved your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into a new folder in your Dropbox. That folder is the name of your computer.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/automatic-computer-backup-faqs

I managed to figure out a way to permanently delete the individual files to free up space but I cannot delete the empty "DESKTOP-720CA63" folder. There is no delete option for this folder.

Are you sure those weren't files you needed? If you chose to backup the folders I mentioned above, then you just deleted those files, permanently, from your account.

Any ideas of (i) why it appeared in the first place and (ii) why I cannot delete it?

It's a special folder that cannot be deleted manually. It's deleted when you disable the backup feature.

If I delete my Dropbox account, can I then create a new account using the same email address as the one used to create the original account?

Yes, you should be able to create a new account as long as the email address isn't in use on another account. If you'd rather be safe, change the email address on the current account first.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?