cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall PC-app from dropbox: remove MyApp-directory HOW?

Uninstall PC-app from dropbox: remove MyApp-directory HOW?

PRK
Explorer | Level 3

after installing the dropbox-app, it started moving files from standard Windows-directories and copied them to Dropbox, which got overfilled...
When removing them from Dropbox, I also lost them from my computer... Downloads, Documents and Desktop were GONE!!!
Thx to Dropbox-standard I could reinstall the items on dropbox, and downloaded them (.zip) before continuing.. except the ones that would cause overflow again..

It took me whole evening, but I am fed up with the app and removed it. Now there is still a MyPC-directory in my Dropbox-area.
How can I delete that one??? It is completely empty, but there is no Remove-option.... remnant of the app...

8 Replies 8

Re: Uninstall PC-app from dropbox: remove MyApp-directory HOW?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @PRK, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like the computer backup feature is still enabled on your machine.

Have you completely uninstalled the Dropbox desktop application in order to disable this setting?

Keep me updated!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PRK
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I did.

What is left is some file marked with an X, and I cannot open them anymoreScreenHunter 06.png
lots more where that came from

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you right click one of the files, click 'Properties' for that file and forward a screenshot of that page for me, while hiding any personal info? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PRK
Explorer | Level 3

some things I see....

1-The X-markes files have no size (to be expected)

2-Some systemdirectories are doubled: see documents, Desktop, Downloads....

ScreenHunter 07.pngscreenhaaa.jpg

Jay
Dropboxer
The files appear to placeholders only, so the actual file isn't stored on the machine. Have you tried downloading the missing files from the Dropbox site?

Are there any deleted files that you can recover from there, and then download?

Those double folders appear to be shortcuts, what happens if you doubleclick them, where do they lead you?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PRK
Explorer | Level 3

the double directories are not accessible (not authorised)

Also, searchbox is not working, Chrome will not start up anymore.

So when i open my computer with 2nd account (administrator), also subdirs are not accessible, and crossed files do not open anymore (some show size 0 kB)
chrome will start under this account. When Dropbox is opened, I see Windows-icon with MyComputer: it's empty, but I cannot delete it.
Seems like account is f*ed up.

it started when dropbox-app started copying an amount of files when space was not available anymore in Dropbox-area: the extra files all show crosses now.

PRK
Explorer | Level 3

ScreenHunter 06.pngScreenHunter 07.pngScreenHunter 10.png

Deleted files in dropbox is empty... also no deleted files in computer Trashcan

Jay
Dropboxer
If you can't delete the computer backup from the site, then it means it's still enabled in the Dropbox desktop application.

If you have uninstalled the app completely, then you can unlink the device from the site. This will allow you to delete the computer backup on the Dropbox site.

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?