cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uninstalled Dropbox, Dropbox deleted my windows 10 downloads folder

Uninstalled Dropbox, Dropbox deleted my windows 10 downloads folder

daveg0321
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hi, help! I uninstalled dropbox with revo uninstaller and it removed the entire windows 10 "downloads" folder. Now when i click on downloads i get an error in windows 10 saying "the location is unavailable". what should i do? :*(

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @daveg0321, thanks for posting today.

I understand you concern over these missing files. Generally, we don't recommend using third party uninstallers to remove Dropbox, as issues like this could occur.

It sounds like you had enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

Do you know if that app also deleted the Dropbox folder on your machine, or just the app itself?

This will help me to assist further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @daveg0321, thanks for posting today.

I understand you concern over these missing files. Generally, we don't recommend using third party uninstallers to remove Dropbox, as issues like this could occur.

It sounds like you had enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

Do you know if that app also deleted the Dropbox folder on your machine, or just the app itself?

This will help me to assist further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

daveg0321
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay, thanks for replying. 

I managed to fix the issue i was having. Sorry to trouble you ðŸ™‚ Had to reinstall dropbox, sync the folders back up, then uninstall it through windows. 

Yes, the trouble was 3rd party uninstallers (in this case revo) and its particularly violent scrubbing

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for letting me know you were able to locate your files @daveg0321!

Enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jiujitsujim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Posting for anyone who has the same issue with a Mac...

When I Deleted dropbox (just put it in trash and emptied the trash as instructed) it also deleted the 'Downloads', 'Desktop' and 'Documents' folders from the hard drive ( ...Users/yourUsername/ or just Cmd+Shift+H in Finder)

Then there were only (locked) links that redirected to the dropbox file locations. Because they were locked, I could not delete the links nor would it allow me to create new file folders with those names. To unlock, select the icon and select File > Get Info (or Cmd+I), click the box unlock and delete the link. The Mac will automatically create a new file folder (except it didn't do it for Desktop so I had to create that one manually)

noah-beep
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here but I didn't use a third party uninstaller, I lost all my downloads and when I downloaded one thing... It was all gone 😞 Please help!!! Please tell me dropbox can help

noah-beep
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

WAIT, I just reinstalled dropbox and found all my Downloads back!!!!

DSNO
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there, I had the same problem. I also tried to reinstall Dropbox. I recovered all folders, but a bunch of these folders are empty. What can I do to restore the files?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DSNO, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Can you clarify how you recovered the folders in the first place and if the Dropbox desktop app is installed on your computer and running/syncing at the moment?

Are you able to see them on the website? 

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.  

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DSNO
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply. I recovered the folders by logging into Dropbox again. However, the folders were empty. Not sure how to see whether I'm syncing but I tried to restore the folders to an earlier moment but nothing happened.

In the meanwhile, I already had contact with the support department so I'll wait for their reply. Thanks!
Need more support?