cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling/syncing dropbox and saving folders from my computer

Highlighted

Uninstalling/syncing dropbox and saving folders from my computer

New member | Level 2

Help!!  I just tried installing Dropbox on my computer and signed up for the free business trial.  When installing I chose to sync my files to Dropbox but did not realize it would sync ALL of my info on my computer.  I CANNOT have that as I have HIPPA contracts.  I immediately paused the syncing process and canceled my free trial.  My question is, when my free trial is over or if I try to delete the files from Dropbox, will it erase it from my computer also?  How do I delete these files/folders from Dropbox, but keep them on my computer?  Or am I screwed?! 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Uninstalling/syncing dropbox and saving folders from my computer

Dropboxer

Hi there @sueschweikart, thanks for reaching out to us here!

So that you can remove the files from Dropbox and stop the computer backup, please disable the feature first with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once you've disabled the backup of the folders you had selected, you can move the content of the backup folder in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer.

Moving the files out of the local Dropbox folder will remove them from your Dropbox account and keep them on your computer too.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Daphne,

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!  I was really freaking out there for a bit.  I am not tech savy so thought I was doomed!  It worked great, everything seems to be back on my computer and off of Dropbox except for three files.  How do I go about deleting those three files from Dropbox, but still keep on my computer now?  Also, My PC is still listed in Dropbox.  Is that because I have it installed on my computer?  If I uninstall Dropbox from my computer will that go away, but I would still be able to have an account on Dropbox.com?

Thank you for all your help, I truly appreciate it!  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that did the trick for you @sueschweikart!

For those remaining files, can you let me know what they're called? Are they a few of your actual files, or empty folders like the "My PC" and the subfolders "Desktop" etc?

For the "My PC" folder, if it's empty then you can indeed go ahead and delete this folder.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?