cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique Share Links Between Users

Unique Share Links Between Users

christineqian
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I have a question about share links to files and folders. Are share links to the same folder, generated by different users, unique? A coworker and I tried sharing links with each other and we noticed that sometimes links to the exact same folder would be different. Are links somehow tied to user? And if so, what happens if that user leaves the system? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They are tied to a user, yes. So if a user leaves the system (i.e. deletes account etc.) the links are also removed as well. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They are tied to a user, yes. So if a user leaves the system (i.e. deletes account etc.) the links are also removed as well. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

christineqian
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Mark! Is there any way to prepare a backup for if that happens? We have spreadsheets full of share links that I'm afraid might expire if whoever created them leaves. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@christineqian wrote:

Is there any way to prepare a backup for if that happens? We have spreadsheets full of share links that I'm afraid might expire if whoever created them leaves. 

No, that's not possible. You can backup your files, but there's no way to backup or preserve the links to those files should the creator of the link cancel their account.

jimssss
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have encountered the same issue: one of our Dropbox team created a spreadsheet with many share links to files within our Team folders. When she left the company all the links are broken. Can anyone suggest a way to reference a collection of Dropbox files from different locations within our Team folder structure for use by Team members? Perhaps it could be done using a hyperlink within Excel starting at the top of the Dropbox directory. Has anyone had success creating robust references to files, ones that survive employee turnover?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jimssss Collaborator | Level 8
    Rich Super User II
    christineqian New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?