cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unknown Person Sending Document via Dropbox

Unknown Person Sending Document via Dropbox

VJG21
New member | Level 2

I received an email advising a person I do not know sent me a document via Dropbox.  How can I determine if it is safe to access the document?

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@VJG21 wrote:

I received an email advising a person I do not know sent me a document via Dropbox.  How can I determine if it is safe to access the document?

You have to make that determination for yourself. No one else can do that for you. Personally, if I didn't know the sender, I'd delete the email and not open the file. If it's important, they'll contact you again.

VJG21
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich.  I checked my account and didn't see any new docs which led me to believe it was bogus.  Curious, do you happen to know if this is an issue with hackers using DropBox for nefarious purposes?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @VJG21, if the link was to a shared file, you should be able to see the file in this list by clicking the ellipsis and then 'Remove'. 

You can then remove your access to the file to prevent accidentally opening it in the future.

I'd also recommend forwarding the email you received to abuse@dropbox.com if you believe it to be a potential phishing attempt, or malware.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?