cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unshare a Folder

Unshare a Folder

AMUSC1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to share a folder, but can't do so, since I have shared subfolder, so I proceeded and unshared all the subfolders (by deleting all the other members of these subfolders) and I did the same with share files, but still am unable to share the main folder. 

I check and saw that even though, there is only one member for the subfolders (which were previously shared), they are still marked as shared folders, which is preventing me from sharing the main folder.

How do I resolve this problem!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AMUSC1 wrote:

I check and saw that even though, there is only one member for the subfolders (which were previously shared), they are still marked as shared folders, which is preventing me from sharing the main folder.

Removing all the members doesn't unshare a folder; it just remove the people from the share. The folder is still shared with you as the only member. You need to unshare the folder. Go into the settings for the share and there's a link to unshare it

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AMUSC1 wrote:

Removing all the members doesn't unshare a folder; it just remove the people from the share. The folder is still shared with you as the only member. You need to unshare the folder. Go into the settings for the share and there's a link to unshare it

AMUSC1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich,

Thank you 🙂

Your answer was very helpful

DennyBeach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A friend shared a file larger (just on its own) than my allowed storage and I only have view access.  I cannot find any way to unshare it from my account, and am effectively locked out of using my account because I cannot remove myself from the share list.

I tried "delete" from more than one area and it just tells me the file couldn't be deleted.  There is no "unshare" type of option that I can find to remove myself from the share list.

How do I get rid of this shared file so my account will work again?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @DennyBeach, welcome to our Community! 

Can you try following these steps in order to remove your access to this shared folder? 

Keep me updated on the results!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DennyBeach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Megan.  That worked.  I was trying to remove the files individually.  Removing the whole folder worked.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's the news I like to hear, @DennyBeach!

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away. 😎

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DFunk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I know this is an old thread, but the same thing happened to me, and I figured it out, so here is how you can fix this in case it helps others.

Move each sub-folder out of the parent folder, unshare the moved folder (unsharing will work now), then move the folder back into the parent folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DFunk Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    DennyBeach New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?