cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unshared folders and files marked as deleted?

Helpful | Level 5

Hi there

I recently unshared a lot of folders (and thus files) from a project and as I was doing so, notifications were telling me they had been deleted.

I have now just all these files and folders visible to me and no-one has shared access.

I just got n email now telling me all these files have been deleted (even though they are still there on the web app) and on my devices...

Are these really going to disappear in a month? All I did was unshare them - I have not deleted them?

Any advice gratefully received

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Unshared folders and files marked as deleted?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RFSIS - welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Monday!

Can you let me know if your desktop app is reporting 'Up to date' which would mean you're fully synced? 

Could you go through the steps you took to unshare those folders in the first place? Do you see them under your account's sharing tab?

On a side note, what is your events page showing in regards to those folders? 

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yep - Laptop, PC and Mac all synced up

In dropbox.com I went through each of the shared folders, clicked on the gear and clicked on Unshare Folder on the bottom left.

The folders synced and removed the shared status on all the folders and they all show as Only You in terms of who can see them.

Events indicates that 'You removed Your access to [folder]  but then also shows 'You Added [folder]...

Does that help?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I see now, thanks for the additional details there @RFSIS

Can you check if the same folder is being accessed by another computer of yours (also running the desktop app) or a 3rd party app or service thus adding it back to your account? 

I'm asking because often when you delete files or folders, they don’t immediately disappear from every synced computer. If you have a synced computer running an application that is using the file, that will cause the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. Or, if you’re seeing a shared file or folder reappear after deletion, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing it.

To check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, you can look at the previous versions of the file. 

Keep me posted please! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The thing is I have not deleted them - I removed the Share on at least two major folders (with lots of sub-folders under them). I just wanted to unshare them but I was getting a lot of notifications that the files and folders were deleted. Once it had synced, the files and folders are still in my drop box, but just no longer shared so I thought all was well.

Then I received an email saying that they would all be deleted in a month - but I do not want to reshare those folders.

Do I neeed to back them up? Surely unsharing folders would just remove access to anyone else I had shared them with, not delete them for me!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for following up on this @RFSIS!

Could you clarify if you're the owner of these (previously) shared folders and if you've moved them to a different location upon unsharing them? This would explain the mentioned email since for our system this would have been logged as a deletion from the original location and a move to their new one. 

In any case, please let me know if you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a better look into this internally.  

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter

Yep these were my files originally (have been using Dropbox to store all my docs in the clouds because I travel a lot and it was the perfect solution when I was using my Mac on the road).

I shared the folders but unshared them so when I look at my dropbox... this is what I see for my folders:

So to my eyes - these are my personal files, all synced to DropBox. So I am just a little confused - all I did was unshare some of my folders and Dropbox kept notifying me they had been deleted. The only other device I have dropbox active on is my ipad... and that seems to load up the same files and folders.

Should I take a local backup on the day before? Because it will be a pain as all my files are in DropBox, so that I can use my work laptop, home PC or travelling macbook depending on my circumstances... and all I did was unshare the folders I no longer wanted a former sub-editor to have access to.

Capture.PNG

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I also took the opportunity to tidy up a lot of these folders too  - and yes please do reach out to the address linked to my account.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for sticking with me on this one @RFSIS - I appreciate it. 

As promised, I've just sent you a brief message so please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk soon 

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter!

It's me that needs to be thanking you!

Just responded to your email!

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?