cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unspecified error when try to open local files.

Helpful | Level 7

Unspecified error when try to open local files.

Cannot open local files after sync.
Cannot copy and paste files to a new folder.
(a) I have unintstalled and resintalled MS office
(b) I have uninstalled and renewed drpobox
(c) cannot open any files: including MS docs, PPT, excel, images, PDF's, Video, Audio.
(d) they are not duplicate files...how could they be? I have all the files on the dropbox cloud; then I synchronise to my PC dropbox folder.

..I have read posts from users having similar issues (as you can see I have tried several recommended fixes).

Any more suggestions?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Unspecified error when try to open local files.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @mr c.1, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

As a first step, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of:

• The error message that you're seeing?
  • What the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock shows when you hover over it?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Hello,
thank you for your reply.

(a) I have started the process once again..meaning that I am reinstalling Office, re-sychronising files.

(b) each time I refresh the dropbox installer I remove the addp, clear caches, clean the registry and reboot.

(c) One thing that I notice this time around = during installtion dropbox (as usual) does not allow me to set files as local due lack of space on my C://drive.
When I open the settings panel there is no option to switch to local. (The right-click option to make files local is also missing after this latest re-install).

(d) EDIT COMMENT = I forget to mention sfc scannow finds no problems.

Thus, my errors are varying with each installation attempt. (and I am remebering to set installation options for context menu)

Image #1 opening a PDF using web browser.

Image #2 hover over icon (note: I have cleared my folder and initiaited a fresh download)

Image #3 dropbox preferences are now missing option to set local

Image #4 the right click context `local' option is now missing after a new installation

Image #5 error message when opening file

web browserweb browserhover over app iconhover over app iconmissing options in preferences settingsmissing options in preferences settingsRight click now missing after reinstalling dropboxRight click now missing after reinstalling dropbox

open an imageopen an image

I am currently reinstalling office (again). After the download  I can show you the .doc/ppt error.

Hopefully these initial images will be helpful.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Attempting to copy a file to new directory = fails.

2020-01-14 22_16_36-1 Interrupted Action - attempt to copy file to new dir.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

WordWord

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your detailed reply and screenshots, @mr c.1! I’d be more than happy to help look into each behavior you mention, so please bear with me. 

Firstly, since you’ve reinstalled the desktop app, I’d recommend giving it some time to sync your Dropbox folder completely. Before we continue with this, could you confirm for me though if the location that you’ve got the Dropbox folder in is an external or an internal drive?

In regards to the .pdf preview on the website, have you tried another browser or an incognito window? How about clearing your browser’s cache and making sure that you’re not running any third party extensions or plugins?

As for the MS Word error, it could be due to a limitation of the apps that you're using to open or save the files in question because they have file paths that are too long. This generally happens if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path, starting from (for example) C:\.

Although the Dropbox desktop app can sync to and from locations that are longer than 255 characters, the apps used to open or save these files might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show errors when trying to open/save/edit.

You should be able to resolve this by simply renaming the file or folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders.

Finally, if you’re still having trouble with the unexpected error that you’re getting when you attempt to copy a file, I did find a few threads that troubleshoot this by searching for the error - could you let me know if you’ve tried any of those steps?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Geetings, thanks for your reply. 

I am pretty much back where I began ... with Dropbox starting and then crashing. After weeks of trying every reommendation, talking with support, having eleveated support = I am pulling my hair out. 

I am still shocked that drpbox cannot handle my 500gb sync. 

Attempting download .zips manually fails. I have some mild success but nothing of signifiance and 98% of my archive is seemingly trapped on their servers. 

My whole goal is to retrieve my archive and leave dropbox. This frustration makes the anxiety to leave even greater. My account is due to reneew in 6 days I and do not want to be a part of their new plans. 
Literal days of my life lost to this problem, I am at a complete loss how the service could be so corrupted (across 3 computers I have tried) = so it is something to do with dropbox's end of things in my opinion. 

I appreciate your input and offers to help = but I am giving up. I am too tired and miserable to deal with this at the moment. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for writing back to me, @mr c.1, and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Since you mention that you're having trouble downloading content from the website to your computer, could you please clarify if it's a whole folder?

If it is, could you ensure that it is less than 20 GB and has fewer than 10,000 total files?

If you're still having trouble with this, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message?

As for the behavior that you're experiencing with the desktop app, I found your ticket and have passed your comments along to the specialized member of my team reviewing this for you. As soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you via email. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Lusil,

thanks for checking in.

I was having some mild succes once again; meaning a few files have sync'd and can be opened, moved, copied within my system. Whilst others cannot.

This success is destroyed if I turn off/reboot my pc.

Today it all fell apart again with the forced dorpbox app upgrade. I saw it initiate and almost started to cry. This is just ridiculous.

My bill is due tomorrow and I cannot get my files off the server. It is now starting to feel like a scam? I do not want the new services, I do not want the 2TB. as is clear dropbox cannot handle large file archives so this makes utter nonesense to push it onto me. And now I am stuck here and have to pay yet again for the miserable experience I am having.

Frankly, dropbox is very clever. It is not often that the Lab Rats pays for their time in a trial. But here I am, paying Dropbox to test out new services on me - when I clearly do not want to be a party to it.

I am very sorry to be so negative, I know you are trying to help me = but I have reposnded to the same support suggestions several times. I have been proactive and diligent at trying to get my archive. I follow instructions, etc... everything you ask me I have done more than once already.  I have had enough, I am full of angst and hatred which is frankly a new experience for me. I used to be positive = now I dread going near my pc. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Not sure what happened my recent reply is not displaying.

Thanks for your interest = but I have done all the things mention several times. I have done them on multiple computers.

With mild success some files are able to be opened on my PC. Most cannot open. It is not naming conventions or lenght...as I keep telling support I have been extremely diligent with following advice, seeking resolutions from community, websites and formal support. Nothing is working. My files will not even download on my friends laptop who came to visit (while their dropbox does work fine) = there is something corrupted on the dropbox end. 

Dropbox are about to charge me another month tomorrow - it is ridiculous. I have been trying for weeks to get my archive. I am now paranoid and anxious that dorpbox is (a) running me in circles with the same generic advice each time I seek help (b) dropbox are so hurt with their losses last year that they are scamming me to stay.. etc... all this angst is deranging me.

I really do appreciate your help - I am not used to being negative, paranoid and cynical = but I have done everything you suggest. I am not a novice PC user either.  Why cannot dropbox accept that sometimes they have a glitch on their end?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?