cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsync all files and folders

Unsync all files and folders

CTFT
Explorer | Level 3

I have just installed Dropbox (Basic) to send a folder securely 

Now I find all my folders and files on my Mac are synced. I want to unsync all of them. 

All I want is a secure way to share sensitive info and maybe later delete my Dropbox account 

Help ..... I can't find any Unsync button

3 Replies 3

Re: Unsync all files and folders

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @CTFT, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you'll get the option to move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Once done, let me know so I can provide more steps on deleting your account if need be.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CTFT
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay

Thanks ... I have clicked on:  the Dropbox icon > my initials icon > preferences > Sync > select folders > mac > then unchecked the Desktop, Documents, Downloads > then clicked the update button 

Now there is no 'tick' in these boxes 

Am I now "unsync"ed ? 

At the bottom of this message page I have an indication " Your content was last auto-saved at 01:13 AM" 

this time stamp keeps on adding minutes 

Why am I getting auto-save ?

I want to keep all my data on my computer - I feel I have lost control of my files/folders - If I close/delete Dropbox account will all my data be wiped from my computer!!!?

Help

Jay
Dropboxer
I think you were on the selective sync menu, and not the computer backup settings.

Could you try the steps I previously posted to disable the computer backup feature?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    CTFT Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?