cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsynched my Dropbox account, lost folders on desktop

Unsynched my Dropbox account, lost folders on desktop

okaybub
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

So I unsynced my Dropbox account from my laptop because around a week and a half ago, it scared me by relocating my folders and I thought they had been deleted. It also made some of my files disappear until I signed into the right account that they were accessible on. So today I decided to unsync it because I had a feeling it would happen again later in the future, and I was right. The files were all backed up and everything on Dropbox so I figured if the same incident happened again I could just recover them. However, this wasn't the case as not only did I lose those files but I also lost some folders too. I was able to recover the files by signing back in but now the folders are missing and they do not appear in any of the folders onto my computer. I can't even access them onto my Dropbox anymore because they are labelled as "localized". I can't seem to get into direct contact with any representative either so now I'm just upset and trusted because of this. 

7 Replies 7

Re: Unsynched my Dropbox account, lost folders on desktop

okaybub
Explorer | Level 3

*upset and frustrated. 

I am not sure why it autocorrected to trusted.

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hi @okaybub, thanks for posting and I'm sorry you're having trouble, but let's see what we can do.

Do you know if the Dropbox application on your computer had finished syncing before you unlinked it?

Do you perhaps see your deleted folders here or in the Recycle bin/Trash on your computer?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

okaybub
Explorer | Level 3

I believe most of the files were already synced when I did it. However, I was having issues with the files being too big and needing to upgrade for more storage space. Though when I had unsynced it 1-2 weeks before and everything else was the same, there were no lost files or folders. 

okaybub
Explorer | Level 3

And no, none of the missing files were found in the trash bin/recycle folder on my computer. 

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for updating me on this.

Can I reach out to you via email to the address you have here, so we can look into it a bit more closely?

Let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

okaybub
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, you can email me.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Sure thing! I've just reached out to you, so make sure to check your mail!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    okaybub Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?