cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updated Dropbox now files are gone

Updated Dropbox now files are gone

Twinklefae
New member | Level 2

I've been using Dropbox to put my files in as I switch to a new laptop.  On the old laptop today, I moved a bunch of files.  The files are no long in their original locations, and were showing in my dropbox.  I went to my new laptop.  Not there.  Looked on the old laptop.  Dropbox says I need to update.  So I did.  Now I can't find the files anywhere.  I have done a system restore, I have restored every deleted file, both on the laptop itself and in Dropbox.  

What the hell happened?  Where are my files?

1 Reply 1

Re: Updated Dropbox now files are gone

Mark
Super User II

When you moved the files in to the Dropbox folder you did exactly that you moved them from the old location to the new one. BUT thats a real life literal folder on your computer. It then takes time to upload to Dropbox's cloud - did you give it that time to do so? You also need to make sure you've enough quota and space to do so.

Updating Dropbox does not alter files or folders on your computer. So, your files should be where you moved them to - note that the restore process could have messed that up. So maybe do a search on your computer for the file names. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?