cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates lost, no conflicted copies

Updates lost, no conflicted copies

lauram89
Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone,

I have a frequent problem within my team:

• person A adds new rows to a specific Excel file shared in Dropbox
  • the file is saved correctly (I can see this in the versions history)
  • other person edits the file some time after and saves
  • in the new version the rows added from A disappeared (again, I see this from the versions history)
  • no conflicted copy is created, so nobody notices the problem

Obviously none of the other person deletes on purpose the rows saved by A.

The problem doesn't happen all the time and isn't easily replicable, plus the other persons are normally able to see rows added by A if we try a test.

Being the file a list of different orders from customers, it gets updated all the time by the team members, and any loss of rows is not easily identifiable and creates problems.

Anyone has an idea of what we could do?

Thanks in advance

Laura

11 Replies 11

Re: Updates lost, no conflicted copies

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello @lauram89, let's get right to it!

Is person A and B editing the file from the web, the desktop app, or the mobile app?

If they are using one of the apps, could you check with them that they are up to date with the apps' versions?

Give me a shout whenever you have any updates, thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lauram89
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter,

thanks for your reply.

All team members are using the desktop version of Dropbox, and automatic updates are enabled - so every version is supposed to be updated.

After further tests I managed to define the issue better: person B is a Mac user (therefore has Dropbox for Mac).

Here's how to reproduce the problem:

- person A opens the file first

- person B opens the file some time after and is not able to see that A has it open too

- person A saves the file

- person B doesn't get any notification about it, and any change B does after overrides the original file, without creating a conflicted copy: the update from A is lost

This seems to happen with every Mac user, but not the other way around (if A uses Mac and B Windows, or if both use Windows, everything works smoothly with the conflicted copy).

Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional information @lauram89.

Have you considered using the Dropbox Badge to collaborate on those files in turns perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lauram89
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter the badge appears but it doesn't show anymore the message "also xxx is viewing this file", for none of us, since some time (a few months?). I thought there had been an update not to show it anymore.

The ideal solution, however, would be to fix the issue with the Mac versions, so that conflicted copies are created if the file is overridden.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @lauram89, conflicted copies should be created when a file is open by two people at the same time, whether they are using a Windows or a Mac computer, so the OS shouldn't be an issue here.

Can you tell me if the previous versions of the file are available in Dropbox as well or only in the version history option in Excel?

Also, when the changes are saved on the Excel sheet, are they also synced to Dropbox? Meaning, when person A edits the file and saves their changes, does the file get a green check mark in everyone's Dropbox folder?

Let me know what you find out!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lauram89
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah , thanks for your reply.

I confirm that the previous versions of the file are available in the Dropbox version history as well, and that, to my surprise, the changes made in the file are always syncronized to the Dropbox of the Mac user.

So here's another use case:

- person A is working on the file

- person B (Mac user) opens the file some time after

- person A saves the file

- person B gets the green check mark next to the file and the correct time of the last update (but no warning like "Person A has just saved another version of this file")

* if person B just closes the file, everything is good: the next time he/she will open it, it will be A's last version

* if person B saves the file, being not aware of the changes done by A meanwhile due to the lack of notifications, any update from A is lost, and the new version from B will be syncronized to everyone's Dropbox, with no conflicted copies

To me it sounds like a bug in the last version of Dropbox for Mac: all files get correctly sync, but Mac users changes override all the other changes, without any warning, if more people had the file opened at the same time.

The same user case replicated with Windows users doesn't create any problem, because there are warnings and conflicted copies.

Also, we all have the Dropbox Badge in place, but since some months it doesn't show to any of us the message "Person X is also viewing this file" anymore.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @lauram89, thanks for this additional info!

I would suggest you have the Mac users reinstall the Dropbox desktop application on their computers (without uninstalling first) from this link.

If that doesn't help, let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lauram89
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah , thanks for the advice, done: Dropbox re-installed without uninstalling first, and the problem happens exactly in the same way I described it previously.

Hannah
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update, Laura!

Would it be OK, if I reached out to you via email, so we can look a bit further into this?

Let me know what you think!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    lauram89 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?