cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Now I Can't Access my Files

Highlighted

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Now I Can't Access my Files

Explorer | Level 4

I recently upgraded my PC desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The original desktop build was custom that I inherited from a friend so I'm not entirely certain if the Product Key/Code for Windows 7 was legit or not. All this to say, it all worked just find for my purposes for years without any trouble.

I recently upgraded to a purchased copy of Windows 10 and I selected the option to transfer my "apps and documents" into the new set-up because I didn't want to fuss around with creating a disc mirror.

But now I'm having problems accessing my Dropbox files (specifically for Scrivener) on the desktop app I've been using for storage on said PC. Every time I try to open these files I'm getting a message that reads "the requested operation requires elevation" and the auto-save backups (set to zip files) in Scrivener are no longer able to save to their designated folders (as I get a message that reads "could not create file").

I'm wondering if it's a weird combination of a user access problem (e.g. security settings), syncing issues and the fact that somehow the file paths during the transition between Windows 7 and Windows 10 were altered or corrupted in some way.

At any rate, does anyone have any idea how I can correct this issue without simply stumbling through by trial-and-error? I'm terrified of losing the files if I remove and/or the copy them (as the files I've tried this with so far seem to have access issues themselves). I have independent back-ups saved on other hard drives but I'd prefer to correct this issue without having to go full tabula rasa. Is there any way to fix this without having to wipe my Dropbox folders and starting again from scratch?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 - Now I Can't Access my Files

Dropboxer

Hi @PerfectlyCromulent; welcome to our Community!

I'll be glad to look into this for you; I'll just need some additional information first.

For starters, can you send me a screenshot of the errors you mentioned?

Also, what's the desktop app's exact status as shown within your computer's system tray?

While we're at it, is Scrivener shown within your account's connected apps tab?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Walter

Thanks for the prompt response! I have screencaps of the errors I'm encountering but I don't see any way to upload or attach a picture in the rich text interface I'm using to post this comment. Would you like me to send it as an email instead?

Per the system tray's status, I'm seeing some of the individual Scrivener (.scrivx) files that I've been meaning to back-up and access in the "Recent" tab but there's nothing indicating the status of the actual desktop app's status in the tray.

I also checked the "Connected Apps" tab in my account and I noticed that it's Scrivener is not listed there.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @PerfectlyCromulent, I just wanted to jump and ask if you could send us a screenshot of the follow, just to have a better visual of your concern:

• The error message you mention in your first post. 
  • What you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Lusil @Walter  - I'm trying to send you guys the attachments but I can't do it in the rich text box. Is there an email address I can send the attachments to????

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @PerfectlyCromulent; thanks for the nudge!

Are you on a mobile devie by any chance?

If so, share a link to the screenshots of the errors so we can have a look as well. 

Or, if you're on a computer, you can also use the relevant buttons shown below: 

Attach image.png

If you're still not seeing those, you may want to try another browser.

Keep us posted! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?