cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Errors with New 2020 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7

Upload Errors with New 2020 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am a photographer and have used Dropbox to share images with clients for years now. I just got a new 2020 iMac i7 and from the start have had upload errors when trying to send files to Dropbox. 

New iMac Specs: 27 inch 2020 i7 w/ 64GB memory. Running Catalina 10.15.7

The new iMac is placed in the exact same spot as my 2012 iMac. The 2012 iMac is running Mojave and has zero upload errors when doing a side by side upload test with the same group of files. 

I supected my internet, but that is not the issue as the side by side test showed. Next I looked at the signal strenth and the new iMac has a -45dBm which according to the internet is very strong. It is better that the older iMac has when running the same test. 

When uploading 60 Jpegs (10MB in size each) the 2020 Catalina iMac takes 5 mintues with 6 errors. So 6 files don't upload. The 2012 Mojave iMac take 6 minutes with zero erros. I ran the test multiple times and the 2012 iMac has zero problems. The newer iMac will even freeze on the upload and I have to close out the interface and restart the upload. A few times I get an immediate error and the upload stops. 

I am uploading through the online Dropbox just like I have for years. I don't use the desltop app because I don't want these files on my HD. I usse external thunderbolt drives. 

I think the problem is Catalina and Dropbox.

UPDATE: I think I just sovled it by writing this help request. The issue is with Safari. On my 2012 I was using Chrome. I just downloaded Chrome on the new 2020 iMac and ran 2 test without errors. So I think problem fixed. 

New question. What safari setting need to be changed to work smoothly with Dropbox?

Thank you

Will

1 Reply 1

Re: Upload Errors with New 2020 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7

Dropboxer

Hi @WillBG, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue by changing browser. Generally, Safari should be supported provided it's the latest version.

There may be some plugin or extension which is preventing the site from working as it should. You could try using private browsing mode without any extensions running to see if this helps.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?