cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Hangs at 1 second

Upload Hangs at 1 second

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Once again upload 'hang at 1 second to go' is back.

Task: upload a zipped folder 1.5 gig.

Issue: hangs at 1 second to go.

Current session: Four attempts fail ... refreshing browser between each attempt.

Tried a different browser with same result.

The idential zip file on the same computer and connection uploaded to W*Transfer successfully (first attempt) in the same session.

This 'hang at 1 second to go' has also been happenning randomly on another computer at a different address (we have three sites).

Same result with different zip folder

It is not consistent behaviour: Just uploaded a non zipped folder 220MB without trouble and yesterday a 1.5gig zip file.

I am in Australia.

Both machines are Windows 10 (fast with min 32 gig of ram) current OS updates and decent internet connection. No third party security apps. Firefox (current build) main browser.

I see from searches that this has been a reported issue previously. Can we please address this.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upload Hangs at 1 second

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Ho Walter

Thank you for those thoughts.

You are probably correct.

I can say that Chrome also randomly fails.

But I think we accept this (user system specific settings) as a solution and move on.

Thanks again

Paul

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Rat; thanks for posting on our Community!

I know you've done some troubleshooting already, but could you let me know if this happens on a private browsing window with no extensions or plugins running as well?

While we're at it, have you ensured you're using the most up to date versions of your browsers?

If you're still getting the same results, please send us a screenshot of the last screen (or error) you get to in order to have a better look into this. 

Thanks so much!

PS: If you'd like to link to the topics that this has been reported in your next response, please feel free. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter

Thanks for your reply.

I can confirrm that the browsers are the latest versions available (Firefox is on auto update but I checked).

I will try the private browser/no plugins as soon as I get a chance.

I overlooked mentioning that I also cleared cache and that seemed to make no difference ... I didn't expect that it would.

I personally prefer Dropbox for it's ability to allow folder organization and some other nice features ... but when youu are on a delivery deadline this kind of thing is a little frustrating.

Walter
Dropboxer
I completely understand @Rat. Keep us posted with any updates! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter

I had the 1 sec hang again today. This was a zip folder 418mb.

As requested I then tried a private browser and disabled the only extension ... the IBM Trustee Endpoint Protection https://www.westpac.com.au/corporate-banking/corporate-online/trusteer/

There were only two plugins and they are both Mozilla auto installed (screenshot attached). These were enabled in both the regular and private windows.

The zip folder uploaded fine in the private window.

I did take screenshots of the 1 sec hang dialogue. However, this shows some clients' files in the Dropbox folder ... including a couple of as yet unreleased major label artists and I can't really post this here publicly for obvious commercial confidentiality reasons. The best I can do is crop the dialogue and obscure the name of the current folder artist. These are attached.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a momentary imperceptible connection dropout and this results in the 'fail' ... does Dropbox use like a CRC for example that could result in this (above my pay grade).

The folder being uploaded today was a zip of a DDP file set. There is nothing unusual about the zip file although this one was created with a HOFA DDP utility (to ensure compatibility with the new OSX systems). But previous failed uploads included simple zip folders created with the stock Windoze 'send to compressed (zipped) folder' so I'm not thinking that the HOFA utility is a 'cause'.

If it helps, this issue has been randomly going on for a while ... as in a month or so (pre-dating the current Firefox update). I've only now taken to the forum as usually Dropbox is simply excellent and dealing with glitches without fuss so I typically just wait for a fix.

I think you were also asking for references to previous reports of this '1 sec to go' thing ... a quick google search shows that it goes back to 2018 https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Upload-has-been-stuck-saying-quot-1-sec-left-q...  and in 2019 https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Upload-has-been-stuck-saying-quot-1-sec-left-q... and I think there's others.

To allay any doubt, I don't have the Dropbox app on this computer so it's not trying to 'sync' to that.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Screenshot_1 sec (2).pngScreenshot_1 sec Dialogue (2).png

Screenshot_Plugins.png

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter

Just being more specific on the 'hang' ... what actually happens is that it gets to '1 second left' and just hangs there ... with the GUI scrolling endlessly as though it's still uploading.

Paul

Walter
Dropboxer
Since the upload went through normally on a private browsing window, it may be that one of your browser's built-in plugins/extensions is somehow preventing the upload, thus causing your web-session to get stuck at uploading or looping continuously, Paul. 

Did you have any better luck on other browsers perhaps?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Rat
Helpful | Level 6

Ho Walter

Thank you for those thoughts.

You are probably correct.

I can say that Chrome also randomly fails.

But I think we accept this (user system specific settings) as a solution and move on.

Thanks again

Paul

Isaster5
Helpful | Level 5

I just ran into the same problem, sat on 1 second remaining. After first failure I cleared out other files from the Dropbox folder but no improvement. The time remaining display varied erratically and inaccurately  in both tries, not as bad as Windows File Manager but quite hopelessly wrong both times. I am using MS Edge, in MS Office Enterprise Version, automatically updated. File size 48MB.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Isaster5, thanks for joining this topic.

Have you by any chance tried clearing your browser's cache or using another browser?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

martin s Explorer | Level 3
    Rat Helpful | Level 6
    SmileThatSmile Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?