cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload markdown file to Dropbox paper (and edit)

Upload markdown file to Dropbox paper (and edit)

mjfrigaard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a local markdown file (file.md), but I'd like to upload this and share in a Dropbox folder, and be able to edit the file in my browser using Dropbox paper--is this possible?

Thank you!

- Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just wanted to add that you should be able to upload, share and preview a markdown (.md) file via the website, but not edit it. However, you should be able to edit it via your mobile app

I hope this helps to some extent! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Hey @mjfrigaard,

So you can type in Markdown in Paper. It will automatically convert it, but I don't think you are going to be able to actually edit the "code" in Paper if that makes sense. You can upload the .md files to Dropbox, but not open them in Paper (only .txt or .docx)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just wanted to add that you should be able to upload, share and preview a markdown (.md) file via the website, but not edit it. However, you should be able to edit it via your mobile app

I hope this helps to some extent! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mjfrigaard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you @Lusil !

Will this functionality be added at some point? I'm just wondering because it's very helpful for those of us with a plain-text workflow 🙂

- Martin

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I understand how important this is for you, @mjfrigaard, so I’ve gone ahead and forwarded your comments to the dev team for future review. :wink:

If you have any other questions or thoughts, just give us a shout. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

okev
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'd love to see markdown features included with the ability to upload, edit and download (as regular md files) to allow for a certain level of future-proofing!

Paper is a great for everyone in the team, but would love to use it instead of github for dev-related markdown files

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @okev, thanks for checking in with us!

You can also post any ideas you have here, where other users who share the same interest can comment and upvote. 

Let us know if you have any questions and, in the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

magnusx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hej @Lusil !

Now when it's possible (for some accounts) to see Paper documents in the Dropbox structure, and they are .md:s, shouldn't the 'opposite' be possible? I.e. editing .md documents uploaded to Dropbox in Paper? 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @magnusx, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

In general, any Paper doc that appears with your other files will have a .paper extension and be separate from an .md file.

If you have the relevant third party app (like a text editor), you should be able to edit .md files locally from your Dropbox folder. 

I understand that this may not be the ideal reply you were looking for, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?