cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes"

Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes"

roy1979
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to upload a 675gb Prores MOV file and the upload is not progressing. There is enough space free on the dropbox account. The desktop client says it's syncing, the sync icon is showing in Finder, but in the sync queue it shows "Uploading 0 bytes". Checking the upload data on the computer itself shows there is no upload happening. Anyone have an idea what to do?

screenshot of client:

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 1.37.01 PM.png

7 Replies 7

Re: Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes"

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @roy1979, thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about your syncing issue

Can you please let me know how long has the desktop app been stuck like that? 

Have you rebooted your computer at all?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes&q

roy1979
Explorer | Level 3

I had it run for about 12 hours, and rebooted this afternoon (3 hours ago). The status went to indexing, and that has changed to uploading now. But still no upload activity. The upload is not limited in the settings either. Also checked file permissions on my disk where dropbox resides and no issue found.

Re: Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes&q

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @roy1979, can I ask more on your app's version? 

You can find it by hovering your mouse there, and letting me know the numbers you see (xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxx).

Can I also ask you to try fixing your permissions with the following steps, in the exact order they are given? 

1) Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2) Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click your profile picture or initials

3) Select 'Preferences'

4) Click on the 'Account' tab

5) Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key

6) Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key)

7) You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

Keep me posted!

Thanks.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes&a

roy1979
Explorer | Level 3

I'm running client version 120.4.4598 on macOS 10.15.7

Tried the permission fix but that didn't help either.

Also tried to add a second file, Prores MOV, around 28gb, and this uploaded after indexing and is now visible and playable in the web interface and on other computers connected to the account.

Re: Upload of 675gb file not progressing, stuck on "syncing" and "uploading 0 bytes&a

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @roy1979, thank you for the updates on this!

Can you try the same steps shown above, but on step 6 instead of pressing "permissions" click "Fix Hardlinks?

Also, just to clarify does this happen for this particular file, or with every file you add inside your Dropbox folder? 

Let me know what you find!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

roy1979
Explorer | Level 3

Tried the hardlink fix as well and it didn't work either. 

It only happens with this file, already tried a smaller file 28gb and that was uploaded.

After a few days still no progress. Is there a file size limit on Dropbox?

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @roy1979

Syncing your files can take time if you have many files or large files. 

Please be patient and the files will show up on the Website. Remember to stay logged into your computer and to keep that computer turned on and connected to the Internet. 

As for the limit, there wouldn't be one. You can change your bandwidth to "No Limit" which should help. 

Let me know if the issue remains, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    roy1979 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?