cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Upload speed extremely slow

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just upgraded to 1T a couple of days ago. Tried to upload about 15G data, but it has taken 2 days and 2 nights and it is still going. It takes about 5-10 minutes to upload a file of 20M. Speedtest shows that upload speed should be 277kpbs, and according to this, it should take about 1.5 minutes to upload such a file. What may be the problem and solution? (By the way, the bandwidth limit is set to Unlimited. 

Cheers

17 Replies 17
Highlighted

Re: Upload speed extremely slow

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @MF140, sorry to hear about this. 

All of the Dropbox servers are located in the US. Your connection speed to Dropbox depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds.

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that's outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason. 

You can also check your connection speed through your ISP and local network by using this link.

Furthermore, please bear in mind that each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers. During an upload, the transfer speeds are also dependent upon how quickly your computer can process and compress the components of the files to make them available for upload.

Finally, please note that the time that you see being reported until syncing is complete is an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed. This value can change if you check the value just a few seconds later.

If the sync time is large then you need to remember to stay logged into your computer and to keep that computer turned on and connected to the Internet. Dropbox syncs your files in the background.

I hope this helped to some extent. Nevertheless, if you do continue to experience some issues with this, do let me know. Cheers! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil, Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the sync time continues to be very slow. This is so even when I am connected to very high speed network (thorough a land line). I think the slow sync problem is not related to the network speed at my end (at least not entirely due to my network speed). I thought when upgraded to 1TB, I could easily upload all of my photos. But I now realise that this is far from true, due to the very slow sync speed. Moreover, if I upload a large file from one device (just about 1G), it also takes very long time to download it to other devices as well, although it is not as slow as uploading.  So the capacity of 1TB is impossible to be totally utilized. In my case, I uploaded about 20+G data, and it took a total of 4 days to get 4 devices all synchronised. This is totally disappointing. This is the situation in Australia. Maybe folks in US may have better sync speed. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear about that, @MF140. Since you mention that:

@MF140 wrote:

Unfortunately the sync time continues to be very slow.

I’d recommend continuing this discussion via email due to account-specific info required to further investigate. I can contact you via email to your email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know how you’d like to proceed! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Just can't work with the slow performance of Dropbox. Recently, I switched my data to OneDrive, life becomes easier.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Syncing is EXTREMELY slow for me as well.  I'm on gigabit internet, unlimited.  It seems to take HOURS to update a single powerpoint file so that I can use it from a different device.  Have done everything suggested, including setting "don't limit" for uploads and downloads.

Tearing out my hair.  OneDrive works much better!  I made tghe mistake of using Dropbox to share with a business colleague and it's driving me crazy.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm going to resort to this too because I'm just tring to sync ONE FILE from my desktop to my laptop for a presentation.  This should not be so difficult.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox must understand most of the performance issues are not related to the user settings. With other cloud storage services, tens of Gigabytes are transmitted, while Dropbox only gives me several few gigabytes with the same period. My job cries. I blame Dropbox. It was sweet.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I tried Onedrive when it came out, and it was horrible. So ultimately I went with  TB on dropbox. I often did 60MB uploads in a minute or so. For the past week, my uploads have been taking 10 minutes to get 1 measly 10MB transferred. And although I have 120mb download speeds (which I routinely test), Dropbox has been taking up to five minutes just to open my files folder. Something seems wrong. I've been a long-time devotee of Dropbox, but I am getting less comfortable after reading that Onedrive is now actually functional. I will give it a look.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I’ve just started using Dropbox and am in the process of backing up my whole HD files. I’m shocked at how slow the upload speeds are. I have a 37mb download and 7mb upload internet connection. Pc is hard wired. I’m showing the best part of 2 days remaining for my files to upload. To say I’m horrified is an understatement. There surely is something wrong with this. In this day and age we work in minutes and seconds not hours and days!!! Reminds me of the old windows update days.
Seriously regretting paying good money to DropBox. 😡

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?