cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload to cloud directly from a url?

Upload to cloud directly from a url?

Eric O.
New member | Level 1

The ability to drop a file directly from a public file server to dropbox cloud storage folder. This would eliminate the need to download the file locally and then upload to sync the file. This would also help users with slow upload speeds or bandwidth caps.

6 Replies 6

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Youtube (owned by google) can now load files (e.g. video files!) directly from google drive, for example. [THINK DB, Think!]

Mark
Super User II

Rick - that is something Youtube would probably need to do, after all it is THERE site that would need to be edited to allow it.

And really, are google likely to allow easy features like that from there biggest competitor?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Laureline
Community Manager

Hey Eric!

Tadaaaaa!
Dropbox just launched a new feature called "file request" doing exactly what you've been requesting: enabling a person to upload a file to the folder of your choice using a URL
More infos here 🙂
https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/204127435-Introducing-file-requests

Ken H.13
New member | Level 1

Laureline, 

This actually doesn't apply to what Eric is looking for. What he wants, and what I would like to be able to do, is specify a URL on another server to move files from one server (that i have control of) to Dropbox. 

I have a bunch of photos stored in a file structure on my website. I was using a photo gallery application installed on the site to view and share the photos, but Dropbox has a MUCH better interface for sharing and displaying images. So I want to just move the files (and file structure) over from that server to Dropbox. The only option I have now is to upload from my computer, which is nowhere near as efficient as just moving from one server to another. 

is that possible? 

Laureline
Community Manager

Hi Ken!

We don't provide a way to migrate external data to Dropbox, I'm sorry.

Have a nice day though 🙂

Rich
Super User II

So I want to just move the files (and file structure) over from that server to Dropbox.

https://mover.io/

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Laureline Community Manager
    Ken H.13 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?