cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploaded photos are lower resolution?

Uploaded photos are lower resolution?

Susanna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I've just uploaded some photos to Dropbox from my iphone6, but the uploaded images are of much lower resolution (and as a result poor quality) compared to the originals - how do I save my photos at their original resolution on Dropbox when uploaded from my iphone?

ManyTIA,
Susanna
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Files uploaded to Dropbox are uploaded in their original resolution. If you're viewing these files through the Dropbox website, then what you're seeing is just a preview of the original file. The original, unmodified file will be seen in its full resolution when downloaded and opened on a computer.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Files uploaded to Dropbox are uploaded in their original resolution. If you're viewing these files through the Dropbox website, then what you're seeing is just a preview of the original file. The original, unmodified file will be seen in its full resolution when downloaded and opened on a computer.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

trevor1955
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just uploaded 55 photos and Dropbox says it occupies about 270 MB, which is about right for full resolution. When I download a typical photo I get a file of 99 KB which is obviously not full resolution. What is going wrong?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

How are you downloading the photo?

If you're viewing the photo on the Dropbox website, make sure you're using the Download button in the upper-right corner of the page. If you're using your browser's Save functionality, all you're doing is saving the lower resolution preview.

Appomo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When you click download the image, my iPhone gives an option to "view" or "download" to phone. When I press view, I can see it full resolution. Isn't it still downloading temporarily to my iPhone? Do I need to clear the cache or delete data of safari?? How would I do that if so? Thanks!

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Appomo

No need to do anything if you are seeing the full resolution of the file when you view. 

The mobile app does not download the files to your device if you don't select to offline them or download/export them. 

Feel free to ask more questions. 

Cheers!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Peter S.32
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

It is not possible to get the photo with full resolution from the link with android.

Dropbox will perish. They try to compete with Google and Microsoft for the consumers, who do not have an idea what "resolution" even is. However, Dropbox succeeded because it was adopted by professionals. If they download a photo, they want to have the exactly same binary file.

francaisgirl7777
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am viewing my videos through the Desktop version and my 4K videos are being downgraded to 720P.

I'll go back to Google Drive where they play in full resolution.

Eleszabeth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Even after downloading, the images are low resolution.  Setting in DropBox?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Eleszabeth New member | Level 2
    francaisgirl7777 New member | Level 2
    Peter S.32 Collaborator | Level 8
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?