cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading a large 250GB Folder to upload to Dropbox

Highlighted

Uploading a large 250GB Folder to upload to Dropbox

Helpful | Level 5

I have a large 250GB Folder to upload to Dropbox. It is a series of backups run by a Windows Seagate backup tool.

I believe it contains a number of files at the lower level.

I tried Upload Folder from a browser which hangs the browser with no info (I subsequently see the recommendation to never upload large files through a browser).  What is the max reasonable file size to upload with a browser and have good success??

Now if I use the Desktop App and the Sync process from the Dropbox Folder, does that mean I either have to move or make a copy of the file from its External Drive to the local Dropbox folder??

This always seems cumbersome to me as a I have an organization setup that I want to maintain and do not want to duplicate it.

I also want to have files upload and Sync as created or changed and not have to track them to move them to the Dropbox folder.

What is the best route?

Finally, can I run a Time Machine backup on a Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.6 and direct it to Dropbox?

Or is there a better way to use Dropbox for my offsite emergency backup?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Uploading a large 250GB Folder to upload to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @parnelltk, thanks for checking in. 

You're right, there is a size limit to how large a file or a folder can be to be uploaded through the website, and that 50 GB or smaller.

There are multiple factors that affect it though, such as your ISP and the browser, so I can't pin-point the exact size to ensure the upload is successful every time. 

As for the desktop app, anything inside the Dropbox folder will sync to your account online and other connected devices. 

If you want to save local space, after adding them to your account, you can selectively sync or Smart Sync the folders. 

Finally, I wouldn't recommend adding Time Machine to your Dropbox folder, as it could create unexpected behaviors. 

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I saw another article on Computer Backup.

Will that cover some of these types of uploads if I designate this folder as one to backup?
after Backup, can I change a specific folder to only keep it on Dropbox?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Computer backup will only backup the Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders, which would normally be stored in your home folder, and then move them into the Dropbox folder.

If you do backup a folder to Dropbox (not one of the folders above), you can use selective sync to prevent that folder from syncing to your machine, and deleting the local copy in the Dropbox folder.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?