cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading a lot of Data from USB HD

Uploading a lot of Data from USB HD

romansky
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I would like to upload 1,5 TB of Data from my external Harddrive. The Problem is I do not have this amount of Space on my Machine,

so I can't just put the files in my Dropbox folder. Also I can't seem to use the Backup function since it doe not let me choose any folder other than desktop and a few others.

So what's the right way to do that?

Thanks

Roman

2 Replies 2

Re: Uploading a lot of Data from USB HD

Rich
Super User II

@romansky wrote:

I would like to upload 1,5 TB of Data from my external Harddrive. The Problem is I do not have this amount of Space on my Machine ... So what's the right way to do that?

There are two methods you could use. One is reliable but will take longer, and the other might be quicker but is more prone to upload failures.

Create a folder in your local Dropbox folder and copy some data into it, up to whatever your hard drive will allow. Wait for the files to sync to your account, then use Selective Sync and uncheck that folder to remove it from your local drive. Repeat this process until you've uploaded all of the data from your external drive. This is the most reliable method.

The other method would be to create a folder in your Dropbox and then use Selective Sync to remove it from your local drive. This will give you an empty folder that only exists in the cloud. Then use the Dropbox website to upload files from your external drive directly into that folder. You'll bypass your local drive but uploading large amounts of data through the website can be problematic, especially if you're uploading large folders. Keep to small batches of files and you should be fine.

Re: Uploading a lot of Data from USB HD

romansky
New member | Level 2
Thanks for the Input 🙂
I already tried uploading with the Webinterface, that did not work out too well. Also splitting it up in small batches is too much work and too risky.

I think i might borrow another machine with enough space, copy my external HDD in the dropbox folder and upload from there. Even if it takes many days, this was nothing gets lost. At least it should not 😉
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

romansky New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?