cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP ***CORRECTION***

Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP

cah1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to ftp a backup file from my web host to my DropBox account. I need to know the DropBox emote server name and port number to acocmplish this task. Where can I obtain this information? DropBox support was unable to assist. Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @cah1

In answer to your question (as it hasnt been answered) there is no way to do what you are asking I'm afraid. 

Dropbox does not offer any sort of SFTP/FTP functionality.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

cah1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to ftp a backup file from my web host to my DropBox account. I need to know the DropBox remote (not emote) server name and port number to acocmplish this task. Where can I obtain this information? DropBox support was unable to assist. Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @cah1 - I moved your second post under this thread to keep things neat; I hope you don't mind. 

As per your request now, could you tell me what exactly are you trying to achieve and why use FTP in the first place and not our desktop application or even the website to upload your backup files to your Dropbox account? 

I'm not sure I understand what you'd like to do in this case, yet, Dropbox lets anyone back up, share and access files easily. No need to manually log in to a server and wait for files to upload one by one, like with FTP. Dropbox makes transferring files from anywhere simple:

Windows and Mac: Just copy or save files to the Dropbox folder, and they’ll be uploaded automatically. 

Web: Drag and drop files from your desktop right into your browser.

iOS and Android: Upload files with just a few taps in the Dropbox mobile app. Or set up automatic camera uploads to copy photos and videos to Dropbox in the background.

(Not all features are available on all Dropbox plans; you can compare our plans to find the version right for you.)

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @cah1

In answer to your question (as it hasnt been answered) there is no way to do what you are asking I'm afraid. 

Dropbox does not offer any sort of SFTP/FTP functionality.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cah1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What I'm trying to do: Once I create a full cPanel backup in my web host provider's site, I want it be be automatically sent to a folder on my DropBox via ftp. Otherwise I have to manually download it from my web host provider's site and then manually upload it to DropBox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As stated previously...

What you want to accomplish is not possible. Dropbox does not support FTP or any other communication protocols other than its own. There is no way to use FTP to send files directly to Dropbox.

Tsolae_Stojan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Give "Transit 5" App a try. It helps me with initial syncing/setup Dropbox on different workstations that I'm working on.

I hope this helps.

Nova Integrated Systems
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I currently have several camera images that are being uploaded to an FTP server and then synced to my dropbox account.  I have a script running that takes the newest image (new one every 15 mins) and changes the name to the same file name each time. 

Example:

Incoming file name image_202108051108.jpg (file name changes depending on the date and time)

Script changes the file to Pic1.jpg (same name every time)

My issue is each time the file is updated the link to the image is broken and therefore the webpage that is supposed to be linking to the images cannot update.  Is there a way to make a persistent link to a filename so that no matter when it updates the link will always work?

Thanks in advance.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Nova Integrated Systems, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

As a first step, can you clarify if you're using a shared link on your end to achieve that? What steps do you follow? 

Keep in mind that, at the moment, there's no direct way of connecting your Dropbox account directly to an FTP server other than an API or a third-party app.

You can also have a look at this thread and this one for some more ideas that might help. 

I hope this helps to some extent!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nova Integrated Systems
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I currently have several camera images that are being uploaded to an FTP server and then synced to my dropbox account.  I have a script running that takes the newest image (new one every 15 mins) and changes the name to the same file name each time. 

Example:

Incoming file name image_202108051108.jpg (file name changes depending on the date and time)

Script changes the file to Pic1.jpg (same name every time)

My issue is each time the file is updated the link to the image is broken and therefore the webpage that is supposed to be linking to the images cannot update.  Is there a way to make a persistent link to a filename so that no matter when it updates the link will always work?  I am currently trying to use the "create link" function in dropbox but as mentioned previously that link changes when the file is changed.

Thanks in advance.

@Megan I had to repost because my previous post somehow got merged with another and then closed.  I couldnt respond to your question.

Some additional research shows that Dropbox thinks that i am deleting the file and then adding the new one which is why the link is degraded.  So what i need is a link that points to the file name only so that it doesnt degrade.

Need more support?