cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP

Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP

cah1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to ftp a backup file from my web host to my DropBox account. I need to know the DropBox emote server name and port number to acocmplish this task. Where can I obtain this information? DropBox support was unable to assist. Thank you. 

12 Replies 12

Nova Integrated Systems
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lori, 

I was using the share link function in dropbox to get the url then embedding that into the webpage.  Works like a charm for another client but with these images dropbox thinks they are getting deleted and a new file is being uploaded with each new update.  So the link degrades when the image is being updated.

I need to have the URL point to the file name and not degrade with each update.

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nova Integrated Systems wrote:

... with these images dropbox thinks they are getting deleted and a new file is being uploaded with each new update.  So the link degrades when the image is being updated.

This will happen when the process that is saving the files is first deleting the original before saving the new version, instead of just overwriting the existing file. When a file is overwritten, a shared link pointing to it will be preserved. If the file is deleted and replaced, the shared link will not be preserved.

There is no other method for generating a link to a file that will be preserved even if the file is deleted/re-saved. Instead, whatever process you're using to save the files to Dropbox needs to just overwrite the existing file without first deleting it.

Novais
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks Rich,

I’m using a simple batch file with a move function to rename the file. I might be able to change the batch file to force an overwrite but I haven’t had any luck so far. There is a Dropbox plugin for Wordpress that we may be able to use instead. Going to try that first before I bang my head against the wall too much
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Novais Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Nova Integrated Systems Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?