cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploading errors via website and "now" 413 Request Entity Too Large

Uploading errors via website and "now" 413 Request Entity Too Large

Cory E.
New member | Level 1

I have been receiving upload errors that don't tell me why certain files fail to upload to my dropbox account. Recently I've received this message.

413 Request Entity Too Large

My dropbox account space is only 10% used and file sizes range from 40MB to 1GB. The regular failed uploads just tell me to try the "basic uploader" which still fails. File formats are the same as the other hundreds of files Ive uploaded already. I even tried different browsers. I've cleared browsing history and cache, restarting. Not sure what to do from this point. I do not want to use the desktop app to upload at this point because the computer I am on is a work computer and I do not want to sync to it. I've been uploading via a NAS on my home network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: files over 400 mb failing to upload

Mark
Super User II
There seems to be an issue with Dropbox at the moment

Please see https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Upload-Error/m-p/225015#M27782 for more up to date information and to log appropriate tickets.

To try and keep everything in one place I'm closing here.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

62 Replies 62

Getting File Too Big Error When It's Not

antoinette s.
New member | Level 1

I recently upgraded to dropbox pro. I have nothing at all in my dropbox. 1TB is available. I'm trying to upload an 11GB .mov file and every time I do I get an error message from dropbox telling me the file is too big. Well...clearly, it's not. So I downloaded the deskstop software and tried to do it that way. I dragged the file in finder and it transferred. When I right click open in dropbox it tells me the folder doesn't exist. When I right click share link it tells me the folder is uploading, but there's no time in conjunction with that information. It's been doing that for hours.

I am on a strict deadline and have to get this video up. What's the point in paying for a TB a month if I can't upload one single video? Any thoughts?

Re: Getting File Too Big Error When It's Not

Rich
Super User II

I'm trying to upload an 11GB .mov file and every time I do I get an error message from dropbox telling me the file is too big. Well...clearly, it's not.

Actually, it is. The website will only accept files up to 10GB in size, and even that is pushing it greatly in my opinion. For anything larger than 10GB you need to use the Dropbox client and place the file in the Dropbox folder on your computer.

It's been doing that for hours ... What's the point in paying for a TB a month if I can't upload one single video?

Keep in mind that your one single video file is a VERY LARGE video file at will take time to transfer. All you can do is wait it out.

antoinette s.
New member | Level 1

Rich, I'm using the dropbox client. Are you saying that it's actually uploading as we speak, and I've got no choice but to just wait until it decides to pop up?

Clipboard is showing that it's uploading. But it doesn't seem to be giving me a time frame. I'm already behind on a deadline, so that is information that would be beneficial to me to let my client know when the file will be available, even if it means that's 15 hours from how.

antoinette s.
New member | Level 1

And for the record, I work in the film industry. A 10 GB file is tiny from where I'm standing. Are you suggesting dropbox isn't made to handle those types of file sizes. If so, thanks for letting me know and I'll cancel pro immediately.

Rich
Super User II

Are you saying that it's actually uploading as we speak

Most likely, yes.

But it doesn't seem to be giving me a time frame.

Hover your cursor over the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). Keep in mind that the speed and time listed will fluctuate as it's uploading based on other traffic. You might also want to check your Dropbox Preferences to make sure that you're not limiting your bandwidth.

A 10 GB file is tiny from where I'm standing. Are you suggesting dropbox isn't made to handle those types of file sizes.

Most any cloud service is fine for handling files of that size, but you have to remember that you're transferring these across the Internet, and Internet speeds fluctuate greatly. Sending a 10GB file across the Internet, regardless of what cloud service you're using to do it, is going to take time. It may be a small file to you, but in relation to normal files being transferred online, it's a very large file.

Vanessa W.3
New member | Level 1

Hi Corey, I'm facing the exact same issue.  Cannot upload my files after I used 'Selective Sync' to stop the folder syncing to this laptop (I don't want it to sync because the harddrive on this laptop is way smaller than the 1TB of Dropbox storage and if I sync, then i don't have the harddisk space to save things to dropbox either.... seems I cannot win!)  Please let me know if you find a solution 🙂 thanks,

Cory E.
New member | Level 1

I will Vanessa. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is much support available for such an issue. I will continue to look into this until I get answers. I will keep you posted:)

Vanessa W.3
New member | Level 1

Thanks Corey!  It's so frustrating as I purchased the 1TB of Dropbox as it was cheaper than iCloud, but now i'm wishing i'd just paid for iCloud....

Pierre-Olivier
New member | Level 1

I do have exactly the same issue with one .mp4 file from my GoPro.

At first, I thought that a 3.66 GB file was too big, but the maximum seems to be 10GB (https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/5).

I really hope someone can help us all with that issue...

Need more support?