cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading to a folder shared only through a link

Uploading to a folder shared only through a link

El_Mac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've been sent a link to a Dropbox account created by a group leader for our group. It consists of a bunch of folders and everyone else in the group is supposed to upload their file to the folder. I can open this link and see/interact with all the files therein. When I do this my account logo (my initials) are visible in the top right-hand corner of the screen indicating that I'm still connected to my account. However the page only show the "Save To Dropbox" and "Download" tabs as options. There is no upload option. But I need to upload my file to the folder. It doesn't seem very logical that I should have to download the folder, add my file, then re-upload it -- that's completely inefficient. So I tried to use the "Share" tab to share my file from my own Dropbox page, but the only way I can seem to do this is to send it via individual emails... (??) I just want to be able to upload my file to the folder on the shared page that I also have access to! Can someone please tell me how I can do this. Thank you!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

El_Mac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Mark! 

Going to forward your reply to the group and see if someone can give me proper access via a shared folder link.

Here's hoping that's it!

Really appreciate your help.

All the best,

Laura

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

The issue is that the person who has sent you the link has not sent it as a shared folder - they've sent you a read only link. You cannot upload to that. They need to send you a share. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

El_Mac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply Mark. I thought that might have been the issue but everyone else in the group seems to be able to upload their files without a problem. I did join the group later than everyone else. Is it possible that everyone else was sent a link to the shared folder and then the link was later shared with me but because it was "second-hand" (it wasn't emailed to me directly) it could therefore only be viewed by me as a read-only..?

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this -- it's so weird! Thanks for helping.

Laura

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The fact you've been sent it second hand confirms its user error (on the other parts side) because it is not possible to share edit access via sharing links. 

Edit access is only possible to people whos accounts have been given specific access to the folder. It isnt possible to just share the link to others. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

El_Mac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Mark! 

Going to forward your reply to the group and see if someone can give me proper access via a shared folder link.

Here's hoping that's it!

Really appreciate your help.

All the best,

Laura

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

El_Mac Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?