cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading to a folder which has selective sync enabled

Uploading to a folder which has selective sync enabled

rossmcm
Explorer | Level 3

I have a folder owned by another Dropbox account that I have control over.  The folder contains a lot of archive material that I don't need or want to be sync'ed to my local machine, so I tried this:

• When logged in to the web interface for the other account, I shared the folder to myself with R/W access.
  • I accepted the share offer and the folder appeared in the root of my Dropbox, as expected.
  • I right-clicked the folder and changed Smart Sync to "Online only".

Now I'm a little reticent to start messing with stuff from here on in, so I'll ask these questions before progressing further:

• Does the act of setting the "Online Only" flag render all the contents of the folder at that point as online-only?
  • If it does (yay!) can I then selectively turn on the "LocaI" flag to make selected files and/or folders locally stored?
  • What happens to files copied to the folder from this point on?  Do they inherit the "online-only" flag? 

You can probably see where I am heading on this.  What I would like is a shared folder in my Dropbox that I can upload to by copying files into the folder with Windows Explorer, and where the files are marked as "Online-only" so that don't take up local space.

4 Replies 4

Re: Uploading to a folder which has selective sync enabled

Rich
Super User II

@rossmcm wrote:
  • Does the act of setting the "Online Only" flag render all the contents of the folder at that point as online-only?
  • If it does (yay!) can I then selectively turn on the "LocaI" flag to make selected files and/or folders locally stored?
  • What happens to files copied to the folder from this point on?  Do they inherit the "online-only" flag? 
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • No, they won't inherit the Online-only flag, but you can easily set each file to Online-only after you've moved it into the folder.

Also, remember that interacting with any Online-only files will cause them to be downloaded to the computer and marked as Local once again. You'll need to manually set these back to Online-only when you're ready.

rossmcm
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Rich for replying. The optimum outcome and what I was hoping for is to have a folder I can drop stuff into and the stuff uploads and it's "online only" at the end of the upload without me needing to do anything.

And... sort of related but a separate question:

If I were to upload a whole bunch of files to a folder that has the "online only" flag set, I gather that the new files aren't marked as online-only but will be set as local, but in an online-only folder (which is kind of a contradiction 🤔).  Can I then (after all the files have uploaded), set the containing folder back to "local" briefly, and then back to online-only again, to bulk set the Online-only flag on all the files in the folder?  I'm just trying to avoid the tedious setting of each of the individual files to online-only.

Actually - I've just tried selecting all the files in a folder in Windows File Explorer, right clicking, and selecting Online-only, and it does them all eventually, but I suspect not until the files have been sync'd.

Can the online /local flag be set with the API?

Rich
Super User II

@rossmcm wrote:

If I were to upload a whole bunch of files to a folder that has the "online only" flag set, I gather that the new files aren't marked as online-only but will be set as local, but in an online-only folder (which is kind of a contradiction 🤔).

Not a contradiction, actually. The folder is simply in a mixed state at that point, and the folder's icon will reflect that.

Can I then (after all the files have uploaded), set the containing folder back to "local" briefly, and then back to online-only again, to bulk set the Online-only flag on all the files in the folder?

No need to set it local, since that would download everything in the folder again. Just set it as Online-only again.

rossmcm
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, @Rich, for your helpful, clear answers.  I think I was over-complicating things. 

• So when an online-only folder has new files uploaded, the icon changes to the blue "synchronizing" one while the new files are syncing.
  • When the new files have completed uploading, it will change to the "mixed" icon and remain that way until ...
  • ...until I right-click the folder and select online-only.  Then the local copies in the folder disappear and the folder icon changes to "online-only".

So my three presumablies:

1. Presumably, I can't drag and copy files into the folder and immediately right-click the folder and mark it as online-only before the files have finished uploading?
  2. Presumably, there is no way to set a folder to online-only via the command-line or API calls?
  3. Presumably, there is no way to programmatically find out if a file has finished syncing?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?