cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading very large file without copying to Dropbox folder

Uploading very large file without copying to Dropbox folder

wawaww
Explorer | Level 3

So I’ve got a 150GB file I’d like to upload to Dropbox. There isn’t enough space on my hard drive to copy the file into the Dropbox folder on my computer, so I’d like to upload it directly. I attempted to put a symbolic link, which didn’t work. My next idea was to rename the parent directory of my file to “Dropbox” and hope that it would sync up, but I have no other backups of the file, so I’d like to know in advance if this would work. If not, what are my options? Has anyone else had to deal with this?

5 Replies 5

Re: Uploading very large file without copying to Dropbox folder

mattc--9
Helpful | Level 5

Either go to https://www.dropbox.com/h  and on the right side click "upload file" or go to (The Dropbox Icon) -> (Your user icon) -> preferences -> backups -> This pc: automatically backup documents -> setup -> add folder -> choose the folder with the large file in it. (Also uncheck any folders you do not want backed up: by default Documents and a few other folders are checked). This is how you backup folders other than the default Dropbox folder (which is special. Renaming another folder to "Dropbox" will not work as it is not in the exact same location and does not have the special properties). This method will probably upload it more quickly than through the browser.

Please note uploading this file will likely use most of your daily bandwidth (200GB for paid customers), so be aware of that (https://www.dropbox.com/features/share/send-large-files under "Is there a file size limit in Dropbox?")

Please note that symbolic links are actually just a file that directs you to another file. If you try to put a symbolic link in the Dropbox folder it just sees it as a file to upload.

Mark
Super User II

@wawaww 

That isnt correct - Dropbox does not follow (since 2018 I believe) symbolic links now. Instead the files are moved and stored inside Dropbox and the original location has a symbolic link placed where the file was

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wawaww
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your help. But:

1. tried uploading through the website, but the dialog box keeps freezing up, and clicking the upload button does nothing. In any case I think there’s a 10GB limit on uploads from the website ( I’m on Dropbox Plus)
  2. I’m using the Linux client, and when I go to Preferences -> My Account all I see are two tabs, one for space used and another to unlink my account. Is there something I’m missing?

Rich
Super User II

@wawaww wrote:

In any case I think there’s a 10GB limit on uploads from the website ( I’m on Dropbox Plus)

Files uploaded to dropbox.com must be 50 GB or smaller.

I’m using the Linux client, and when I go to Preferences -> My Account all I see are two tabs, one for space used and another to unlink my account. Is there something I’m missing?

If you referring to the Backup functions, those are not available on Linux.

Also, please note that @mattc--9's comment above about bandwidth is incorrect. The 200GB limit applies to shared links and media you stream from a mobile device. It does not apply to the files you upload and download within your own account.

mattc--9
Helpful | Level 5
thank you for the correction on the bandwidth.

Also for the original commenter, if you are using Linux, you could try cutting and pasting the file into the Dropbox folder. I was looking this up before and if the destination is in the same partition as the source, Linux will just change the organization of the file system without moving the location of the actual file on the disk.

You can also try looking up how to make hard links in Linux. This involves the command line so please make sure you are comfortable with that.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mattc--9 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    wawaww Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?