cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads missing file extensions

Uploads missing file extensions

Poordeadleonard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to share some mp3s with my customers via Dropbox but when I upload them they lose their file extension and become unreadable when redownloaded, why is this happening? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox doesn't change or remove file extensions. Are you sure that they're being removed and not just hidden by the operating system when downloaded? Also, if there's no application to support MP3 files on the computer, then they wouldn't be playable even if they had their extensions.

If they really don't have their extensions, then they're likely being saved without them. Dropbox wouldn't be (and is not capable of) removing them.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox doesn't change or remove file extensions. Are you sure that they're being removed and not just hidden by the operating system when downloaded? Also, if there's no application to support MP3 files on the computer, then they wouldn't be playable even if they had their extensions.

If they really don't have their extensions, then they're likely being saved without them. Dropbox wouldn't be (and is not capable of) removing them.

sosofix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing happens to me. Pdf extension dissapears.

There is not the problem that I do not have a pdf viewer

There not extension at all. If a edit the filename and put .pdf in the end everyhing is ok

It's dropbox - please check this bug. It;s not us 🙂

I do not pay dropbox subscription to be told that it's my fault, dropbox beeing perfect

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sosofix. Thanks for adding up to this thread! 

I am not sure your issue is the same with the one described here. Help me look into this please.

Walk me through the steps you are taking and attach screenshots of anything that is not working for you. 

Is the issue that you don't have a pdf viewer installed on your device? 

Everything Ross stated about extensions and Dropbox here is accurate but I'd be glad to get more information and help anyway that I can.  Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

RFCT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue as sosofix above.  I uploaded an audio file with .m4a extension using the dropbox app on my android phone.  The extension is missing once it's uploaded to dropbox.  Then I downloaded it on a Windows 10 PC and an android tablet which both have apps to play a .m4a audio file, but the file extension is still missing on both devices.  I have to rename the files and add the extension manually.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @RFCT, thanks for nudging us on this thread.

We'd be more than happy to help, we'll just need a bit more info, such as:

• Are you running the latest version of the mobile app on your Android?
  • Does this happen with any other audio or video file?
  • Do you get the same result if you upload it via the website on your mobile's browser?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RFCT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for your response.  I am using the latest version of the app.  I did a few tests and the issue happens with all audio files I've tried.  The types I've tried are m4a, mp3, and amr.  I also tried uploading using a browser and the result is the same, file extensions disappear.

Edit:  I also tried an mp4 video and that was successful, the file extension remained.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for trying that out for me, @RFCT.

I've sent you a ticket so that we can have a more in-depth look on this. Please check your inbox for my latest message when you get the chance and we'll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    RFCT Explorer | Level 4
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?