cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads stalling for photos on iMac Catalina

Highlighted

Uploads stalling for photos on iMac Catalina

Explorer | Level 4

I've used Dropbox for a few years now, but the past 5 months I have been really struggling to upload photos.

Usually upload between 5 to 300 photos and it's really struggling lately.

The upload bar goes across in a few seconds which is normal but it's the final bit it stalls on, says a few seconds left but usually around 40 mins later still nothing or says upload fails.

It's pure luck if a photo uplaods or not and I'm fed up re-trying uplaods.

It's not this PC or network, they are running fine.

I'm using a Imac running Catalina. The interent speed for upload is 5.62Mbps (Downlaod is 33Mbps), this never use to be an issue and all other systems running off this network are fine. I've tried turing them all off too, no difference.

The photo sizes vary between 8MB - 13MB

I noticed there was a setting for Network upload bit rate and it was set to limited automatically. Changed it to don't limit and it made a slight difference but today it's back to doesn't want to work

Any way to fix this?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Uploads stalling

Dropboxer

Hi @Coconuts12, thanks for reaching out!

Can you clarify for me how exactly you're uploading these files to your Dropbox account? It seems that you're using the desktop app, are you using camera uploads?

If you can provide a brief step-by-step, this would be very helpful to make sure we're on the same page.

Also, please send me a screenshot of the error that you're getting for the failed uploads.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I use the web browser, it opens up automatically. I then drag and drop the files into the window and the upload begins.

They are JPEG files

It just seems to stall once the upload bar goes all the way across. Says a few seconds left but hangs there for at least 30-40mins then fails. No error message it just has the red sign and says failed upload

It takes a good few goes of cancelling and re-trying to uplaod to get pictures up.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @Coconuts12!

Do you have the same issue if you try clearing the browser cache and trying again?

What about when using an incognito window and a different web browser?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I tried clearing the cache but it made no difference

What has made a difference is an update on the mac software, it still seems to stall a bit when uploading on the web browser but when I use the desktop app it seems fine?

I use Firefox if that makes a difference?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for that additional info @Coconuts12!

When the desktop app syncs, it can pick up where it left off if there is some instability in the Internet connection, whereas uploading through the web might have more issues with this.

Perhaps this could be why there seem to be less issues when using the desktop app.

Can you let me know which version of Firefox you're using? Is there any difference with an incognito browsing window?

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?