cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads taking too long

Uploads taking too long

Madmaniakid
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Community,

So I'm having upload issues from my PC using the dropbox client.

Downloads are fine and come in very fast but uploads take forever.

I've dome multiple speed test and my connection is always around 60-70 mbps download and 10-20 mbps upload.

Downloads are done in seconds yet when uploading a regularly edited file which is 16mb it takes on average 5 mins sometimes longer, even at the lower rate of 10mbps it shouldn't take near a minute to upload.

When I upload via the web browser it take less than 30 secs for the same file.

I have the upload bandwidth rate limit disabled in the client.

I have ttied turning LAN sync off and on, same results with either option.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: Uploads taking too long

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Madmaniakid, Thanks for posting about this!

I'm sorry to hear about this experience.

Keep in mind that the Dropbox servers do not set caps on the upload or download speeds from the Desktop client, but file sync is a complicated process that includes more than just the transfer of the data. 

Is this happening on an initial sync, or on already synced files that you edit?

One thing you could do is to restart your computer and your router, to see if that helps. 

Let me know how you get on!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Madmaniakid
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Hannah,

The PC is turned off every night and the router has been restarted several times while this has been going on.

The file is in a folder that is already synced and it's just this one file that gets updated everyday.

When I did it this evening I kepts an eye on it's progress the screen says syncing file xxxxx the upload speed sat at only 80-100 kbs and took 7 mins in the end, the progress bar was moving but extremely slowly.
I also tried the exact same version of the file via the web broswer and it was done in less than 30 secs.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Madmaniakid thank you for keeping me updated on this. 

I just wanted to provide some more information about how syncing works, which will hopefully make sense, even in this case. 

When syncing starts, each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers.

During an upload, the transfer speeds also depend on how quickly your computer can process and compress the components of the files.

Basically, this process can sometimes be more time consuming than just uploading a small file through our website.

If you have more questions about this though, please let me know! 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Madmaniakid Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?