cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploads to my file request were added to a folder with the user's name instead of renaming the f

Highlighted

Re: File Requests Now Create Subfolders -- Sometimes?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @TexasMac; thanks for joining our Community and happy Monday!

There were some changes on the UI for people submitting content to open file requests, but the functionality shouldn't have changed much; only the copy and layout has been updated. 

If you'd like to suggest a change on an existing feature, note that you can post it on the relevant section of our Community: 

Let me know if you have any more questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: HATE the new File Request file naming behavior!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for your patience while I checked on this!

The behaviour that you're seeing now, where the files are being uploaded into a folder with the user's name instead of renaming the file, is indeed the new expected behaviour of this feature.

We really appreciate your feedback on this change and I've made sure to make a note of all your comments on this.

If there's anything else that I can help with in the meantime, or any further feedback you have on this, please do give me a nudge here.

Hope you all have a great week ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Daphne Yes, I realize that it's then new expected behavior...it is obvious

HOWEVER IT IS AN AWFUL BEHAVOIR and makes your file request service orders of magnitude more difficult.

Please, at least offer the option of the classic behavoir.

Again, if I get 200 files from 200 different people, which I often do....creating 200 NEW SUBFOLDERS IS RIDICULOUS What good, exactly, are 200 new folders with filenams that have no relation to the uploader?

Whereas if I get file uploads with the names prepended to the filenames, I can sort and separate and organize them however I want.

I get that some people might want uploads organized in the new way...that's why I ask for the option. Please, Please Please...yopu've just added many hours of manual filenam changes to every file request I receive

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne Can you give us any more information? You said it's the new expected behavior, but it's not happening on all of my file requests. It appears to be random.

Can you please tell us what we are to expect, on which file requests, and when it will occur?

A lot of us have written custom tools around Dropbox to process files and having the files randomly change file structure with no notice is terrible. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@bad_boy @Daphne I totally agree with BadBoy here...it's bad enough you make a change to a longtime behavior that we have created tools and workflows around. Then you make it with ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING or consultation, and no way to revert to the prior behavoir. 

This is really a disaster for me...or will be when school comes back and I'm receiving hundreds of file requests a week.

@daphne, please tell me there's a fix/change/reversion coming to this ill conceived behavior. Or please let me know who else I can contact...complaining here seems to not be doing any good.

Highlighted

Re: Uploads to my file request were added to a folder with the user's name instead of renaming the f

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on this change. We hear you, and we've taken the decision to revert this change as of 22 July.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and questions. Thank you for helping us make Dropbox better.

If you have any questions please let us know.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Emma @Daphne @bad_boy @RodCoo @PyFi 

THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Thank you so much for listening! Just did a quick test and I see the OLD BEHAVIOR BACK. Uploader name prepended to the filename.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dropbox developers for this!!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks to everyone in the conversation. @twindux @RodCoo @PyFi We did it!

@Emma -- We really appreciate this rollback. My team expresses their thanks as well!

Highlighted

Re: File Requests Now Create Subfolders -- Sometimes?

Explorer | Level 4

The problem may have resolved.  For a few days, the UI for the submitter was only requesting folders, but now appears similar to the previous, asking for files from the submitters' Dropbox or computer.  A few experiments show that there are no more subfolders being created, just the usual "prepending" of submitter names (either from Dropbox accounts or manually typed by non-Dropbox submitters). At any rate, thanks for listening.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Thanks Emma and everyone who read my post, plus posted their similar problems. This is fantastic news as it is a key feature of dropbox that other cloud storage systems don't have. Thanks dropbox developers for listening to everyone's feedback and changing the system back.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?