Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Used selective sync to make a folder online-only, then made it local again. Can't access local files

Explorer | Level 4

I used selective-sync to make several folders online-only, then made them local again.  I can see the local files but they have this weird grey icon on them (pictured) and I can't open them regardless of file format (pdf, jpeg, doc, etc. are all affected).  I prefer working locally the majority of the time.  Any idea on how I can get my dropbox files to function locally again?  They work fine online and there's no problem accessing them.  Thanks.dropbox file error.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Used selective sync to make a folder online-only, then made it local again. Can't access local f

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your speedy response and screenshots @LocScout!

Can you click on the 'Smart Sync' option (shown in your 2nd screenshot) and see if you get an option to make the files available locally? This should do the trick! 

When using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon or, in some cases, a grey X icon like you saw beside them. This means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want simply by right clicking and selecting the 'Local' option through the Smart Sync options. 

I hope this clears things up a tad and  I remain at your disposal if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Used selective sync to make a folder online-only, then made it local again. Can't access local f

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @LocScout; happy Monday!

At first, can you clarify if you're referring to the selective sync feature which completely removes the folders from your computer (meaning that you don't see them locally) or the Smart Sync feature which allows you to view your folder structure without them taking up any hard drive space on your computer? 

While we're at it, could you forward me the desktop app's exact status as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar? 

By the way, what options do you get when you right click on those files? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Happy Monday Walter!

-I was using Selective Sync and not Smart Sync

-Dropbox status icon pictured below

-When I right-click a problem file I get the usual options (also pictured below). If I try to open a pdf the error message says "There was an error opening this document.  The file cannot be accessed by the system".  If I try opening a Microsoft document like excel the error message reads "Excel cannot open the file because the file format or file extension is not valid.  Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file"

-Also pictured below is how I utilized Selective Sync.

Any assistance is apprectiated!

dropbox app status.jpgdropbox right click options.jpgDropbox selective sync error.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your speedy response and screenshots @LocScout!

Can you click on the 'Smart Sync' option (shown in your 2nd screenshot) and see if you get an option to make the files available locally? This should do the trick! 

When using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon or, in some cases, a grey X icon like you saw beside them. This means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want simply by right clicking and selecting the 'Local' option through the Smart Sync options. 

I hope this clears things up a tad and  I remain at your disposal if you have any more questions. 

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

That did the trick!  Thanks Walter!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it's sorted now @LocScout; thanks for keeping me in the loop too!

If you ever come up with a Dropbox question, feel free to give us a shout; we're always a post away. 

Until then, take care! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?