cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Using Dropbox for files in Office 365

Using Dropbox for files in Office 365

Gordon B.11
Explorer | Level 3

I hope that I have the correct forum for this question:

I am new to Mac (MacBook Pro); in Windows I have traditionally assigned file storage locations for Excel and Word to Dropbox so that I can have access to same on two other computers.

Recently, I downloaded Office 365 for Mac to use on my new machine.  I don't seem to be able to find a way to assign Dropbox as the location for my Excel/Word files.  Is this a designed move on the part of Microsoft?  Should I be using an earlier version of Office that permits this assiggnment?  Very frustrating.

Gordon

Houston, TX

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nate_C
Super User

On Office 365 for Mac, I think it does default to storing in Microsoft's cloud. When you go to save a file, there is a button at the bottom left corner "On My Mac" that allows you to choose a local folder, such as your Dropbox folder.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 12.34.16 PM.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nate_C
Super User

On Office 365 for Mac, I think it does default to storing in Microsoft's cloud. When you go to save a file, there is a button at the bottom left corner "On My Mac" that allows you to choose a local folder, such as your Dropbox folder.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 12.34.16 PM.png

View solution in original post

Louise T.6
Explorer | Level 3

I am unable to open a file from Dropbox online in my Word 365 (2016) on Macbook. Adding a place does not seem to allow me to add Dropbox.

I can open files stored in my laptop Dropbox folder as suggested in the response above but not open files in Dropbox online. Frustrating as Word online from Dropbox is not user friendly.

Mark
Super User II
That is a complaint you need to take up with Microsoft I'm afraid as it is only them who can code new things in like that. They themselves have explicitly not included Dropbox and its them who need to add it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jon16
Explorer | Level 4

When I click the 'On My Mac' button, all I get are local files on my Mac i.e. not Dropbox.  Do I have to add Dropbox to my Mac and then add Dropbox to Excel?

Nate_C
Super User

Hello Jon,

Yes, you will need to install the Dropbox client in order to browse to those files within Excel. When you install the Dropbox client, it downloads your files so that they are local on your Mac. Then, when you open Excel and go to "On My Mac", you can browse to the Excel file you want to open. The Dropbox client will make sure that any edits you make will be synced back to the Dropbox website and any other devices you install Dropbox on.

Need more support?