cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Secondary Drive Rather than C: Drive

Using Secondary Drive Rather than C: Drive

TOT99
Explorer | Level 3

For some reason, I was logged off last night. I logged back in and noticed my default location was changed back to defaults on the C: Drive. This is a SSD drive. I use a secondary drive for Dropbox so I can store all my files there and access them even when my internet goes down. I tried to move the default location back but get an error that says there is already a Dropbox folder. I shutdown Dropbox and renamed the folder. Then I tried to move the folder again. It began moving the files but when it got to my QuickBooks files, it had an error that said the file already existed and quit. This has happened twice. What is my solution and why can I not reselect my original Dropbox folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using Secondary Drive Rather than C: Drive

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @TOT99, thanks for reaching out and happy Friday!

Generally, syncing live databases with Dropbox is not recommended.

Also, you can't have two 'Dropbox' folders on the same drive.

However, have you tried to move these Quickbooks files out of the Dropbox folder, allow the move to happen and then add them back in, to see if it works?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @TOT99, thanks for reaching out and happy Friday!

Generally, syncing live databases with Dropbox is not recommended.

Also, you can't have two 'Dropbox' folders on the same drive.

However, have you tried to move these Quickbooks files out of the Dropbox folder, allow the move to happen and then add them back in, to see if it works?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TOT99
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks,

Yes. I deleted the files out of my QuickBooks folder and restored them after the move.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Perfect! No worries, I was happy to help.

If you need anything else, make sure to let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

TOT99
Explorer | Level 3

Also, I do not store my active QuickBooks database files on Dropbox.  The original files are on my C: drive. I do however put a copy on Dropbox once a year so I can give my accountant a link to the files for taxes.

dcuervo
New member | Level 2

Hi, all-

I'm having a similar problem.  I have always stored all Dropbox files locally on my D:\ drive--a 1 Tb HDD--but for some reason, my default was changed to my C:\ drive, a 107 Gb SSD.  I want to move everything to the D:\ drive and change the default location to their. 

When I try to move all the C:\ files to the existing Dropbox directory, D:\Dropbox (desktop app preferences:  "Preferences" --> "Sync" --> "Move"), I get this error message: 

"This folder already contains a Dropbox directory"

How can I: 

1. Move all Dropbox files to "D:\Dropbox," making sure that the files there are the most recent versions (without losing any of the files that were synched to C:\);
  2. Make "D:\Dropbox" the default directory; and
  3. Prevent Dropbox from changing the default directory again?  (Why was it changed in the first place, btw?) 

Many thanks,

David

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dcuervo New member | Level 2
    TOT99 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?