cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Smart Sync while keeping files in an external hard drive and not locally.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, first time here, i hope i'm not breaking any rules...

I recently purchased a Samsung T5 SSD hard drive to store my dropbox files instead of keeping them locally on my macbook pro which is running out of storage. I noticed that i can still add files to the external hard drive and it'll sync with my dropbox.com, however, I lost the ability to right click on a folder or file and define if i want it to be "online-only" or "local", or even right click and "copy dropbox link".. I have to go to my dropbox app or dropbox.com and find that file in question and copy the link from there. Also some files on the external hard drive have an "online-only" tag and i have no option to download it from the hard drive by right clicking on it..

Essentially, i dont see the status of each folder/file anymore through the external hard drive as I would when the files were being store on my macbook and it's a bit of a pain to share files with people now. 

Do i just need to allow a lot of time for the files to re-sync from the external hard drive to the cloud? or is this not supported?

Thank you!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Using smart sync while keeping files in an external hard drive and not locally.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @adrianoreis, thanks for checking in with us - welcome aboard!

Since you're not seeing the Smart Sync option when you right-click on your files, check out this article which suggests a few initial ways on how you can tackle this. 

Also, please note that, in general, we don't recommend keeping the Dropbox folder on an external hard drive, due to unwanted behaviors that may occur, including data loss. You can find more info about this here

In any case, let me know how you get on and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?