cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an external encrypted USB drive with Dropbox.

Using an external encrypted USB drive with Dropbox.

Frank123
New member | Level 2

I have read many posts about the security of the Dropbox folder on the local hard drive in a personal computer but I have not seen any reference to using an encrypted drive to store the folder in. (I am using Dropbox free version on Windows 10.)

So I have 2 questions.

1. If I move the Dropbox folder from my computer hard drive to an encrypted USB drive would the application be able to access the folder on the USB drive? (assuming that encryption would not be an issue)

3. Would the application re-create another folder on my local hard drive to replace the one that was moved? (If it would re-create the folder on my computer and then re-sync all my files to that folder, that would defeat the purpose of using an encrypted drive for storage.)

1 Reply 1

Re: Using an external encrypted USB drive with Dropbox.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Frank123, thanks for posting today!

Are you referring to a USB stick, or a USB drive, just to be certain?

It depends on how the encrypted drive works. Generally, the Dropbox desktop application will only sync if it can detect the Dropbox folder. Without that, the app fails to launch, and might create a Dropbox folder in the default location on your machine.

So, if it's an encrypted drive, and it needs to be unlocked or mounted in order for the folder to be visible, that is when you can launch the Dropbox app for it to sync normally. 

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?