Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using "send to" Dropbox moves files but before, it copied them. Any ideas?

Judy M.7 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been using Dropbox for some time. For my genealogy backups, I have used "send to" up until this week, when I got a new laptop and "send to" no longer worked as it used to. In the past, I would send a document to Dropbox, and it would remain on my hard drive. Now it moves the file to Dropbox. Everything I've read says that "send to" should move the files, but that's not how it worked in the past! Is it possible that there's a Windows 10 setting that controls this? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Move versus copy

Super User II
Super User II

@Judy M.7 wrote:

Is there a setting in Windows that controls this?

No.

The Move to Dropbox menu item which is a Dropbox feature has always moved files; never copied. If you're using the Send to menu item then that's a Windows feature unrelated to Dropbox and it always copies files; never moves them.

If it's the Send to menu that you're using, you'll need to ask on a Microsoft forum as that is not a Dropbox feature.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Super User II
Super User II

The Move to Dropbox item in the context menu (which I haven't seen in recent versions) has always moved, never copied. Perhaps you were previously using the Send to menu that's part of Windows, which uses a copy instead of a move, and is not controlled by Dropbox.

Judy M.7 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm using the same method I've always used: I right-click the file I want to copy to send to Dropbox, but on this computer it's moving the file instead. Is there a setting in Windows that controls this?

Super User II
Super User II

@Judy M.7 wrote:

Is there a setting in Windows that controls this?

No.

The Move to Dropbox menu item which is a Dropbox feature has always moved files; never copied. If you're using the Send to menu item then that's a Windows feature unrelated to Dropbox and it always copies files; never moves them.

If it's the Send to menu that you're using, you'll need to ask on a Microsoft forum as that is not a Dropbox feature.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?