cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Takes 3 Minutes to Unlock.

Vault Takes 3 Minutes to Unlock.

stevensrmiller
Explorer | Level 3

Just started using Vault. Seems to work fine, but on both of my Windows 10 machines, it takes over three minutes to open (closes quickly). Is this normal?

14 Replies 14

Re: Vault Takes 3 Minutes to Unlock.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @stevensrmiller, let's see what we can do here. 

Could you first have a look and see how many files you have in your Dropbox folder and your Vault folder?

Also, which version of the desktop app are you running?

You can check that by hovering over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stevensrmiller
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the follow-up, Lusil.

My Dropbox folder has about 1,200,000 files in it, about 180 GB. (I'm using selective syncing, so there are more files in the Dropbox server, but those 1,200,000 are well over half.)

My Vault folder has one file in it.

My Dropbox version is 118.3.448

Lusil
Dropboxer
Do you find that the desktop app starts syncing/indexing when you try to navigate through to your Vault?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stevensrmiller
Explorer | Level 3

No. Its sync status remains "Up to date" at all times after the Vault opens, including when I navigate through to the Vault either by the Windows File Explorer or by the Dropbox desktop app, and also when I open the one file I have in the Vault, again either by the Windows File Explorer or by the Dropbox desktop app.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Generally, the desktop app's performance can decline if you have more than 300,000 files in your Dropbox folder.

Although this is a soft limit, it does greatly depend on a number of factors, including the hardware specifications of your device. 

Could you try selectively syncing some additional content to see if it improves the behavior?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

stevensrmiller
Explorer | Level 3

I am confused. Why do you want me to sync additional content if I am already syncing too many files?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @stevensrmiller; sorry to jump in here.

I guess Lusil was suggesting that you selectively un-synced some folders from your device through the selective sync feature to lessen the app's load. 

Let us know  if this makes any difference!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

stevensrmiller
Explorer | Level 3

Ah, you mean use selective syncing to exclude some more content. I will do that, but it's going to take a bit of time to set up, as almost everything has the same root folder. I'll need to split that across some other folders and then filter those out.

In the meantime, can you tell me what the typical time required to open a Vault is when everything is working properly?

Daphne
Dropboxer
This would depend on a few factors, such as the device specs and internet speeds for example, as would syncing any other files @stevensrmiller, so there isn't a time frame we could really suggest for this.

When you have the chance, I'd suggest trying out the steps mentioned above, and see if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?