cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version history period

Version history period

Almar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Helloo,

When I read:

"Version history period

Depending on your plan and if you purchased Extended version history, your version history is available for a length of time, called your "version history period".

If you create a file, and then edit it after your version history period elapses, only this most recent, edited version of the file can be recovered.

• For example, imagine that you have a file called myfile.docx, and that you have a 30 day version history period. If you created myfile.docx on January 1st, and then edited it on March 1st, only this version from March 1st is available in your account.
  • This is true because your version history period of 30 days elapsed between creation of the original version—January 1st—and the edited version—March 1st.
  • The March 1st version is available until you edit the file again and 30 days have elapsed since March 1st."

I understand that my files are not safe.

But if I test modifying an old file I can find the old version, and I think this old version will be available during 30 days.

So please can you explain what is realy truth?

Thanks

Almar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You shouldnt be able to do that Almar, unless you are a long time user who has been grandfathered in to Pack-Rat (it was something you actively needed to do).

If you are able to do it I'd enjoy it while it lasts and not expect it to be available forever!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi Almar,

The 30 days lasts from the last time the file was edited. So your example wont work unless you put dates on it as per the help article you've quoted.

If you edit an old file WITHIN the 30 days of it last being edited that previous version is available. If its over 30 days (i.e. 31 days) it WILL NOT be available.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Almar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank-you for the answer.

But in fact when I edit a two years old file I can immediatly acces to the two years old version after that, I think for 30 days. It's great but it is not what I understood reading the FAQ.

Perhaps I understood in the wrong way because I'm not english speaker.

Thank's for your time.

Almar.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You shouldnt be able to do that Almar, unless you are a long time user who has been grandfathered in to Pack-Rat (it was something you actively needed to do).

If you are able to do it I'd enjoy it while it lasts and not expect it to be available forever!

Almar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No unfortunatly I'm not a Pack-Rat user...

Thank-you for helping. In fact it could be logical because when you delete a file you can recover it during 30 days no matter if it is a 2 days or 2 years old file.

Sincerly

Almar

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Recover a deletion of it, yes.

Not recover a previous version of an over written file.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Almar Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?