cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Video Preview time on Showcase

Advanced Collaborator | Level 14

Hi

When you add a  video file (90mins) on a showcase document, one of the shared people with a Dropbox account can preview the whole video, but others without an account can only preview 60mins. Can you please explain why this happens? I thought the difference between the two is just comment features.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Video Preview time on Showcase

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @jazzmeg1, I hope my message finds you well today; let’s have a closer look together! 

Could you clarify the following for me just to get going? 

• Can you let me now of the file type & the size of the video? 
  • Have you stored the video in your Dropbox account or is it a non-Dropbox web link? 
It would be worth mentioning that video previews won’t play directly on the showcase page—they’ll appear as a still image that previews when you click them. 

If I had a shot in the dark, I’d suspect that the file owner is a Dropbox Plus or Professional user. If so, then recipients can stream the first 60 minutes on dropbox.com or the Dropbox mobile app. Maybe those who viewed the whole video downloaded it instead? 

Please let me know how the info relayed above applies on what you’re experiencing & I'll make sure to address your initial inquiry a bit closer. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @jazzmeg1, I hope my message finds you well today; let’s have a closer look together! 

Could you clarify the following for me just to get going? 

• Can you let me now of the file type & the size of the video? 
  • Have you stored the video in your Dropbox account or is it a non-Dropbox web link? 
It would be worth mentioning that video previews won’t play directly on the showcase page—they’ll appear as a still image that previews when you click them. 

If I had a shot in the dark, I’d suspect that the file owner is a Dropbox Plus or Professional user. If so, then recipients can stream the first 60 minutes on dropbox.com or the Dropbox mobile app. Maybe those who viewed the whole video downloaded it instead? 

Please let me know how the info relayed above applies on what you’re experiencing & I'll make sure to address your initial inquiry a bit closer. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Advanced Collaborator | Level 14

Thank you, Jane.

Yes, this user (not myself) has a Plus plan.

This must have been the cause of the problem. And like you mentioned, some people must have downloaded the file so that they can view the whole video.

Thanks again!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Perfect Meg; happy to hear we’ve spotted the culprit! 🤹🏽‍♀️ 

It’s always a pleasure chatting with you; take care until we talk again & have a relaxed weekend ahead! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?