cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6

I just transferred 18 videos in the .mov format using my Mac desktop (up to date, running Catalina).  They each took 5 minutes or so to transfer, as would be expected. However, when they transferred, and I checked them, they'd all been converted to jpegs, which is a nice thought, but not what I wanted or expected.  Transferring videos was the main reason I paid for the subscription. Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6

Haha, leave it long enough, and we'll answer our own questions.  Yes.  My photos all transferred as jpegs, but today I learned that jpegs can be different sizes, so my iPad photos will go up to Dropbox in their original size from my iPad and will be downloadable by my Mac in their original size.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Kat6, thanks for joining the Community!

Dropbox wouldn't convert your videos to still images, as there isn't a feature like that available.

How did you transfer the files to Dropbox? Was it using the automatic camera upload feature, manually uploading files to the site, or by moving them into the Dropbox folder?

Do you have any third party apps on your machine that could be converting the files?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, Jay...Well, I have the videos on my Mac in a folder (not a Dropbox folder) in Finder.  I selected the videos in that folder, and dragged them into the my Dropbox folder which was open in the Dropbox website , like the Dropbox instructions said, and as it allows me to do. What was strange was that they took many many minutes each to transfer, just as a video would. Then voila! they were transformed into jPegs. I won't bore you with a screen shot of a jPeg file name.

In addition, I've spent hours and hours and hours transferring 2000 photos from a 2014 iPad, in batches of a 200 at a time, (because the app crashes if I try to transfer more) using the Dropbox uploader feature in the app, using the + feature, and they all turned into jpegs as well, and of course they look flat compared to the sizeable orginals, which I want to keep in their original format. Also, that Dropbox app doesn't transfer Live photos or videos. It's so frustrating, it seems to me that the Dropbox app's job is to allow me to transfer my files to Dropbox, and then back again. But I can't make it work.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with both my devices...and hope you can help! Many thanks in advance.

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jeff, I just tried something for my Mac.  I uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled, and re-linked my Dropbox folder in Finder.  From there I was able to synch and move the movies into the Dropbox folder, and now they're properly at Dropbox.  I'm still not sure what to do about the iPad photos, so maybe you can help with that?  

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6

Haha, leave it long enough, and we'll answer our own questions.  Yes.  My photos all transferred as jpegs, but today I learned that jpegs can be different sizes, so my iPad photos will go up to Dropbox in their original size from my iPad and will be downloadable by my Mac in their original size.

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, @Kat6, if you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?