cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video won't download

Video won't download

subed924
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I always use Premier Pro to produce my videos and I export them straight to my Dropbox. Then, from the app, I download them to my phone. One of the videos, which I've now saved and exported several through several attempts, will still not download from the Dropbox app because of the "type" (whatever that means) of video it is. BUT it is the same "type" of video as all of the other ones! What am I doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @subed924!

Initially, it sounds like you’re trying to preview (instead of downloading) a file type that’s not previewable via the website. In any case, could you please clarify if you don’t see the option to download it?

One way that you should be able to do this is by clicking on the ellipsis (…) that appears on the right-hand side of the file and selecting Download. A second way is by clicking on the file and selecting the option to Download that should be on the top right-hand corner of your screen. 

If you don’t see these options, try switching browsers, using incognito, and ensure that you’re not running any browser extensions.  

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @subed924!

Initially, it sounds like you’re trying to preview (instead of downloading) a file type that’s not previewable via the website. In any case, could you please clarify if you don’t see the option to download it?

One way that you should be able to do this is by clicking on the ellipsis (…) that appears on the right-hand side of the file and selecting Download. A second way is by clicking on the file and selecting the option to Download that should be on the top right-hand corner of your screen. 

If you don’t see these options, try switching browsers, using incognito, and ensure that you’re not running any browser extensions.  

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

katielouiserose
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello!

Im sorry I don't have a helpful response however I am experiencing this EXACT problem ! And I cannot find a result anywhere, did you figure it out eventually? Id appreciate any help?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @katielouiserose, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with downloading your file. 

Out of curiosity, could you clarify the following for me?

• Have you tried downloading it directly from the website by clicking on the ellipsis (...) button by any chance? 
  • Do you get a specific error message when attempting to download? 
  • Do you also get this behavior with any other file type? 

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

roseponnekanti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm also experiencing this problem on my laptop. It's a video file shared with me. I can view it fine inside Dropbox. I click the ellipsis, download, and end up with an mpeg4 file that Quicktime says is unviewable. Adobe Premiere says the codec is unsupported. 

What's going on here?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @roseponnekanti, thanks for nudging us on this discussion. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried downloading the file from another browser? Do you get the same behavior if you do?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

nigelw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar problem. 

Videos uploaded after processing with iMovie now will not download. I have tried the ellipse and clicking on the 3 dots methods as well as clicking on the file on my device to download. In all cases, the download appears to stsrt but fails just before completing.

I dare not upload anything else to Dropbox in fear of losing it, as I appear to have done with these personally valuable videos from an expensive adventure holiday.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Nigel

nigelw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please ignore my last! After 2 days of trying, suddenly, it just worked.

Cheers, Nigel

delirious_dave
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey, I am still having this problem. I'm an editor and get sent large files to download. When it comes to video files they always stop at 15.1gb (if the file is bigger than that) and the file is'nt viewable. I have plenty of space so that isn't the issue, there is no error message. The last few times I have had to suggest to clients to use annother service instead because it didn't work even if I tried a few times. I'm using a Macbook pro and have tried different browsers, I also tried paying and upgrading my dropbox account but the issues still remains.

Cheers Dave

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @delirious_dave, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Out of curiosity, are you having trouble downloading specific files or any type of file? 

Also, since you mention that others have tried downloading as well, do they get any error messages or does the download progress bar just freeze? 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    delirious_dave New member | Level 2
    nigelw New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?