cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Viewing text file without extension in Android app?

Viewing text file without extension in Android app?

feklee
Helpful | Level 6

I have thousands of text files with notes that I would like to be able to view on my Android phone. Most of them don't have an extension. Many of them are simply called README. As far as I understand it, the Dropbox App, being rather basic, is still lacking the functionality to view these files. However, there is the possibility to open files with 3rd party apps, and I found one that can open text files. It’s a Vim clone for Android and rather cumbersome to use. I am looking for a simpler solution, and just for viewing. I don't want to edit files.

Is there a simple 3rd party text file viewer that I can use to view files in my Dropbox on Android?

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @feklee; how are you today?

It's true that the mobile app won't be able to preview a file without extension at this moment and while I won't be able to suggest a 3rd party app for this, I'll leave this thread open in the hopes that a similar minded user has more to offer. 

Also, note that we have a dedicated area if you'd like to share your ideas, feature requests and/or suggestions and you could post your ideas there so other users can chime in and upvote them as well to show their interest. 

In the meantime -and as you probably know- you can edit the files to append them with an extension our mobile app can handle and/or try a 3rd party app/service that was made for that specific reason, i.e. previewing extensionless text files. 

I know it's not the answer you were looking for, however, I hope it helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

feklee
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion! But I don't want to change the extension of files just to get around limitations in Dropbox. That would be a terrible idea as it would break many things. I understand that the Dropbox app is just a last resort if one doesn't have a PC around, so no surprise that it's missing important features.

What feature does a text viewing app need to have so that it integrates with Dropbox? (technical explanation welcome, I'm a dev)

The VIM clone I mentioned earlier must be DroidVim. It is the only 3rd party app so far that I can use to view text files from the Dropbox app, but it's cumbersome. I wonder what other text viewers are missing. They are not visible when selecting "Open with..." from within the Dropbox app.

Need more support?