cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to use Dropbox as a backup solution, however can't because of storage issue

Wanting to use Dropbox as a backup solution, however can't because of storage issue

JakeLille
New member | Level 2

Essentially, I want to zip up project files for creative work I do and have versions of these zip files. These tend to be heavy on storage, each being over 50GB. Having a limited SSD, I don't want these on my computer, but available on Dropbox whenever I need them. I needed to put my Dropbox folder (for the Desktop app) on an HDD I have connected because my SSD does not have the storage to store the backups. I have turned on selective sync and made the backup folder and the zip file "Online only", and I still can't have my Dropbox folder on my main SSD because I'm "lacking free space".

If the file is online only, and I have nothing else in my Dropbox, I should have enough space to make the Dropbox folder on my main SSD, so why is it doing this?

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wanting to use Dropbox as a backup solution, however can't because of storage issue

Mark
Super User II

The files will still be in the hidden cache of Dropbox for a few days - think of it like a security blanket. If you decided now to redownload locally they would be done almost instantly. Or, if they were corrupt you still have 'the original'. 

Give it a few days and you'll be good to go 🙂

Or, follow https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder to do it now

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Wanting to use Dropbox as a backup solution, however can't because of storage issue

Mark
Super User II

It will only go 'online only' after its uploaded. You need to wait for that to happen and for uploads to happen you need at least double to space available of the file you are trying to upload.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JakeLille
New member | Level 2

Hey Mark thanks for the response!

I actually uploaded it last night, then selected "online only" this morning, and then attempted to switch my hub Dropbox folder back to my SSD to which I got the not enough free space error. 

Mark
Super User II

The files will still be in the hidden cache of Dropbox for a few days - think of it like a security blanket. If you decided now to redownload locally they would be done almost instantly. Or, if they were corrupt you still have 'the original'. 

Give it a few days and you'll be good to go 🙂

Or, follow https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder to do it now

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?