cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?

SpitzLaw
New member | Level 2

We have recieved a notification that the storage is full. We went and deleted files and sharing folders. We deleted quite a bit of files and then went in deleted folder and deleted everything in that folder. We still have the same notification that our storage is full. What do we need to do to get the space we freed up to register?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @nbutlerdidit

The first step to checking how much space is available or taken up in your Dropbox account is by having a look at the Plan tab. Since you see from there that:

@nbutlerdidit wrote:
the site says that I'm over the storage limit

However, to see if your deletions took place, you can check out your events page, which lists all changes that occurred to your account. 

I also wanted to mention that, in the case that you’re also permanently deleting files, since deleted files don't count against your storage quota, permanently deleting them won’t free up storage

Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to further assist if you see a discrepancy, in which case, could you please provide me with some more details and a screenshot (without personal info) illustrating the discrepancy you’re seeing from your end? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @SpitzLaw

As a first step, could you please navigate to the Plan tab on the website and see how much space is being reported as available and occupied by personal/shared content?

If you find that you’re still over the storage limit, you can check the size of your files and folders through the website:
If you see that you’re not over the quota limit, don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nbutlerdidit
New member | Level 2

I saw the following response to the above question ("We've deleted files but we're still over the space limit?"):

"As a first step, could you please navigate to the Plan tab on the website and see how much space is being reported as available and occupied by personal/shared content?

If you find that you’re still over the storage limit, you can check the size of your files and folders through the website:

Well, none of that is helpful at all. Yes, the site says that I'm over the storage limit, but how does that make sense when I just deleted GBs of material?

I just dumped a bunch of stuff I'd like to have kept, just to make room for what I need to do my job. But Dropbox doesn't acknowledge any change in space. Please help!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @nbutlerdidit

The first step to checking how much space is available or taken up in your Dropbox account is by having a look at the Plan tab. Since you see from there that:

@nbutlerdidit wrote:
the site says that I'm over the storage limit

However, to see if your deletions took place, you can check out your events page, which lists all changes that occurred to your account. 

I also wanted to mention that, in the case that you’re also permanently deleting files, since deleted files don't count against your storage quota, permanently deleting them won’t free up storage

Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to further assist if you see a discrepancy, in which case, could you please provide me with some more details and a screenshot (without personal info) illustrating the discrepancy you’re seeing from your end? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Releasing space

steve maskery
Explorer | Level 4

I reached my 2Gb limit.

I have deleted nearly all the files, but it has not freed up any space. What am I doing wrong, please?

Re: Releasing space

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @steve maskery, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When you have the chance, can you check out Lusil's posts above to see if that helps?

If you're still having trouble with this, please let me know what usage you see showing in your Plan page here.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

steve maskery
Explorer | Level 4

Sorted, I think. Thank you both very much.

I am no longer seeing the error message, but how can I tell how much space I do have left? I'm looking for some sort of Properties button but I can't find one.

Many thanks.

S

Lusil
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your main concern, @steve maskery

You can check more info about how much space is being occuppied and how much is available from your Plan tab

GIve us a nudge if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

My Dropbox says it is full, but it is not

wmandel
New member | Level 2

I have deleted many files and permanently deleted the deleted files and it stills says that my Dropbox is full. I need to transfer a 77k file into my dropbox and it will not let me. It says that i am using 3.15 of 3 G . what do I do?

Re: My Dropbox says it is full, but it is not

patrick-23
Explorer | Level 4

Hello @wmandel!

I recommend that you clear your browser cookies and cache. Please go to the following pages, depending on what browser you have, for instructions: 

If this doesn't work, I recommend that you contact Dropbox Support at https://www.dropbox.com/support/email

I hope this helps!

----------------

HeartDid this post help you? If so, please mark it for some Kudos below.  

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so, please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so, please provide some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?