cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does Drop Box Paper's Folder "following" mean?

What does Drop Box Paper's Folder "following" mean?

comebaqq
Explorer | Level 4

This is the picture link of what I am talking about What does the "Following" button do?

PLz tell me what happen after I tick following?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, the Following button allows you to be informed if there are any changes to that folder, such as new documents, similar to how following a Paper doc sends you a notification when that doc is amended.

Hope this helps clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, the Following button allows you to be informed if there are any changes to that folder, such as new documents, similar to how following a Paper doc sends you a notification when that doc is amended.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

comebaqq
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay wrote:

So if all the files inside the folder I am following are not shared, that means the following button won't do anything since the only person who is gonna amend the files is myself, which the system won't send the notification for.

And if the files inside the folder I am following are shared with other people, and other people amend the files, then the system will send me notifications.

Am I correct?

comebaqq
Explorer | Level 4

Is there a dropbox community level ranks guide? like I am level 3 now but I don't even know how I got to level 3 and how may levels are there and which level unlocks the Signature function and how to get to level 4.. etc

Jay
Dropboxer

@comebaqq wrote:

So if all the files inside the folder I am following are not shared, that means the following button won't do anything since the only person who is gonna amend the files is myself, which the system won't send the notification for.

And if the files inside the folder I am following are shared with other people, and other people amend the files, then the system will send me notifications.

Am I correct?

That's right, it's primarily for collaboration with others, hence the option to follow a folder or file. For private items, you're not going to get notifications.

Is there a dropbox community level ranks guide? like I am level 3 now but I don't even know how I got to level 3 and how may levels are there and which level unlocks the Signature function and how to get to level 4.. etc

There isn't a guide to the ranks, though I think it peaks at 9 or 10, it depends on the amount of times you post on the forum overall, since in my experience people post only about an issue they're experiencing, and then rarely return since their issue was resolved.

As this is a community however, users like to come back to learn more and help others with their own ideas. 

Currently only Super Users and Moderators can have signatures to avoid cluttering up the forum in the same way the forums of the early 2000s lived and breathed.

It is possible to become a super user if you have a read of the following thread for more info!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JOfE
Collaborator | Level 10

This could be a useful feature for my team in terms of following a folder. Where do I find 'follow' ?

Need more support?